Haman Pellet Stove ash not dropping into ash tray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WestchesterPellet

Jan 11, 2024
Scarsdale, NY
Hi, Im a newbie to the pellet stove world! thanks to everyone here for all the info, it was very helpful while making our decision to go with a pellet stove.

We recently purchased a harman p42i pellet stove insert. The first week ran our stove the built up ash would fall into the ash tray. After the first week of running, I vacuumed and cleaned the interior and now ash is building up and not falling into the tray. Im wondering if I messed something up while cleaning or if this is how the stove is intended to work? Does anyone know? This picture is after 10 hours of burn after the ash was removed.

Thanks!

IMG_6234.jpg

Did you remove the plate under the burn pot and clean the ash under there? If so, try removing the ocver, then replacing it - it may be just a bit off which would disturb the air flow. If you didn't clean under the burn pot, do so. My P43 will exhibit that symptom when that area needs cleaned.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Hi, Im a newbie to the pellet stove world! thanks to everyone here for all the info, it was very helpful while making our decision to go with a pellet stove.

We recently purchased a harman p42i pellet stove insert. The first week ran our stove the built up ash would fall into the ash tray. After the first week of running, I vacuumed and cleaned the interior and now ash is building up and not falling into the tray. Im wondering if I messed something up while cleaning or if this is how the stove is intended to work? Does anyone know? This picture is after 10 hours of burn after the ash was removed.

Thanks!

View attachment 322521
Also, you should scrape the burn pot at least daily. Scrape all that ash into the tray.

I have a long paint scraper that I bent the end just a little to better get into the deeper part of the fire box, and a longer prybar I ground the end sharper to better break up any hardened deposits, but this new Harmon fire box in my VC stove doesn't build up like the old one did. Every week or so, I'll do a shut down to let it cool and vacumm under the firebox where dust gathers from burns. It's always pushed the burnt ash over the front edge as it pushes new pellets in from the back, but if the holes are clear, by the time the new pellets get to the front ledge, they too are ash.

Did you remove the plate under the burn pot and clean the ash under there? If so, try removing the ocver, then replacing it - it may be just a bit off which would disturb the air flow. If you didn't clean under the burn pot, do so. My P43 will exhibit that symptom when that area needs cleaned.
This did the trick! I cleaned and re-adjusted the cover and now its running well! thank you!

Reactions: bogieb
I have a long paint scraper that I bent the end just a little to better get into the deeper part of the fire box, and a longer prybar I ground the end sharper to better break up any hardened deposits, but this new Harmon fire box in my VC stove doesn't build up like the old one did. Every week or so, I'll do a shut down to let it cool and vacumm under the firebox where dust gathers from burns. It's always pushed the burnt ash over the front edge as it pushes new pellets in from the back, but if the holes are clear, by the time the new pellets get to the front ledge, they too are ash.
Thanks!