1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. MommyOf4

MommyOf4 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Since it's been in the 15-25 degree range and my stove just started working, my house isn't getting as warm as it used to be. I just got 3 bags of Hamer's Hot Ones and paid $7.29 per bag. Is it worth it or stick with Lignetics?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    I am north of you in Maryland and I am burning lignetics and powerhouse, and I am very warm. If I was you, I would save your money and get something less expensive, that seems really high. I know the folks on here love hamers, but that price would be hard to swallow.
  3. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Never even seen em in this area but regardless, at that price, I doubt it's cost effective.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Way too expensive. If the Ligs are the Green letter bags, both the hardwood and blend versions burned good for me last winter.
  5. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Haer is a great pellet. If you look, you will find them cheaper for sure. $5.50- $6 per bag down in MD.
  6. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I just called about the per ton pricing and they said it's $289 per ton and a $65 delivery fee.
  7. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I've never heard about a Haer. The only ones I could find were Lignetics, Statesman, Power Pellets, O'malley's, and Hamers.
  8. Brokenwing

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    Green Labeled Lignetics are going here in carroll county for 219.00 per ton at tractor supply. Southern states has gren ligs for 235.00 a ton. Also lowes had presto logs, which I think dexter was burning, but Im not sure. I would should around. At that price per ton it is around 6.00 a bag, but I still think you can go cheaper.
  9. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Hamer.....my bad.
  10. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I'm using the Green Label Lignetics now, but it's keeping my upstairs around 68 degrees. The finished basement (where the stove is located) is around 75). I just want the upstairs a tad bit warmer so I thought getting better pellets would bring it up a couple degrees. I don't want the heating pump to come on. I love the warmth of the stove! :)
  11. Brokenwing

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    Oh ok got ya. With the stove in your basement, and these cold temps it could be difficult. Is your basement insulated really well. Is your stove cranked all the way? I guess add the hamers that you bought and let her eat, and see if you notice a diffrenece.
  12. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I'm not really sure how well it's insulated, but on a 45/50 degree day our upstairs is usually around 76-80 degrees. It's cranked up to around 85 degrees on the tstat
  13. Brokenwing

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    Ya i suspect that with these cold temps were having right now, that the stove is having a hard time, and that is the thing with basement installs. On the warmer 50 degree days it is alot easier to heat the home. If there is a weakness or cold spots in a house these cold temps bring them out. If the hamers do not bring the temps up, I thnk your going to have to wait out these temps. I do not know what else to suggest to be perfectly honest with you.
    MommyOf4 likes this.
  14. george pence

george pence New Member

Loc:
    Lebanon,Pa
    I bought a few bags just to try them,with this cold snap just finished my last one....not worth the hype...I'll stick to my Turmans and Barefoot pellets
  15. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Just a thought...or a question...Would increasing the amount of pellets fed increase the heat output?
  16. tractorman100

tractorman100 Member

Loc:
    Northern MD
    AFAIK, Statesman are rebagged Hamers. Nice pellet, I'm a fan!