Hammer hot ones vs Okanagan vs cubex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Ive used hammer hot ones pretty much all last season. I loved them to the point where I really just wanted to continue to use them. Now, I see the forum is all raging about Okanagan and Cubex pellets

My local dealer has the hammers and Cubex for $235 and the Okanagan for $250 a ton.

Is the $15 a ton price difference worth it for the Okanagan over these other two?
If not, are the Cubex a better burn than the Hammers?

I'm all for the high heat and longer burn times of the hammers. I litterally used 80% of what i did the year before simply on a 'time to fill the hopper' basis. The bags of hammers just lasted several hours longer over other brands i've used, such as energex, american, new englands, etc.

I was all set to buy the hammers again for this season, but now i'm not sure. convince me :)

Well, I had a hard time choosing so I bought a ton of each of the Hamers and the Cubex! If I had room I would have stuffed in some Okies or some Spruce Pointes or some Barefoots(I could go on). We are spoiled with some really good pellets at nice prices this year. If you go by last years prices, Cubex was the most expensive at $300/ton. Hamers and Okies were at $270/ton.

Cubex are a great pellet and they should do very nice for you. They are cleaner than the Hamers. The Okies are also very clean burning. The heat from all three is really close and most would not notice. I did read that your stove is finicky and you need to tend to it some. A cleaner pellet will help you here! That would give the edge to Okies and Cubies. Spruce Pointes were the cleanest I have burned so far. I might have just made your choices even tougher!

Have you ever burned any softwoods in your stove?

Biggest thing I hated about Okies....THE DUST!!, smell great, heat great, but if you dump bag's like me into a coal bucket then dump into the stove they are VERY Dusty!!
Living room after a week everthing is covered in DUST, Wifey bitchen!!
I have a Whitfield Advantage 2 insert which has a small slit of a door to dump pellets in the hopper, when i bought my stove in 1998 they had a Quest, it was new, the whole top opened up which was neat but the lady i bought from said it didn't put out the heat as there good ole Advantage 2... i don't know but it has been a workhorse of a stove since!

j-takeman said:
Well, I had a hard time choosing so I bought a ton of each of the Hamers and the Cubex! If I had room I would have stuffed in some Okies or some Spruce Pointes or some Barefoots(I could go on). We are spoiled with some really good pellets at nice prices this year. If you go by last years prices, Cubex was the most expensive at $300/ton. Hamers and Okies were at $270/ton.

Cubex are a great pellet and they should do very nice for you. They are cleaner than the Hamers. The Okies are also very clean burning. The heat from all three is really close and most would not notice. I did read that your stove is finicky and you need to tend to it some. A cleaner pellet will help you here! That would give the edge to Okies and Cubies. Spruce Pointes were the cleanest I have burned so far. I might have just made your choices even tougher!

My stove issues from last year have been resolved... I don't know if i posted an update to that thread. After much playing around and changing snap switches, i found a wire on the back of the unit had melted its casing off and was grounding/shorting it self out. I cleaned it up, shrink warped it, and zip tied it out of melt range, and i've been fine ever since.

I burned a ton of Vermont pellets 2 years ago. Those were softwood.
They were expensive, and i was un-impressed with their heating. I was using about 2 bags a day vs 1 bag a day with the hammers to keep the house the same temp (i pretty much leave my stove on setting 1 all winter long... 2 on those REALLY cold days).
Their new bags appear to have a new label... perhaps a different blend now?

So, it sounds like you are suggesting out of those 3 that the Cubex are probably the better buy over the hammers for the same money? I don't mind cleaning the stove and emptying the burn pot, but of course it's a convince.... but its not worth $15 a ton :D

Pellet-King said:
Biggest thing I hated about Okies....THE DUST!!, smell great, heat great, but if you dump bag's like me into a coal bucket then dump into the stove they are VERY Dusty!!
Living room after a week everthing is covered in DUST, Wifey bitchen!!
I have a Whitfield Advantage 2 insert which has a small slit of a door to dump pellets in the hopper, when i bought my stove in 1998 they had a Quest, it was new, the whole top opened up which was neat but the lady i bought from said it didn't put out the heat as there good ole Advantage 2... i don't know but it has been a workhorse of a stove since!

I dump the bag straight in. I don't do any mixing. The top of my stove opens up on a hinge and i just dump right tin. nice and easy.

I live alone (bachelor pad) so I have no wife to worry about bitching (yet), and I rarely use my living room where my stove is for anything.... My house is retarded. I have effectively 3 living rooms, so there's nothing in this one but the stove and a few couches to fill the room. I maybe have sat on them for a total of 8 minuets since i've lived here. lol
My tv/etc is in my other living room on the lower (garage) level. And of course, my basement is finished as well, effeectively giving me a 3rd 'family' room that i currently rent out to a buddy of mine.

Before (just moved in) and after photos:

Attachments

• PICT0772.jpg
    PICT0772.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 744
  • PICT0906.jpg
    PICT0906.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 740
Your stove looks like a Quest, Lennox bought out Whitfield some years ago, same design basically as all whitfields

It's a country stoves model, which was bought by lennox.

You can see my stove in free-standing fashion (same thing, just not an insert) on the splash page before it redirects (left image)
http://www.countrystoves.com/

briansol said:
j-takeman said:

My stove issues from last year have been resolved... I don't know if i posted an update to that thread. After much playing around and changing snap switches, i found a wire on the back of the unit had melted its casing off and was grounding/shorting it self out. I cleaned it up, shrink warped it, and zip tied it out of melt range, and i've been fine ever since.

I burned a ton of Vermont pellets 2 years ago. Those were softwood.
They were expensive, and i was un-impressed with their heating. I was using about 2 bags a day vs 1 bag a day with the hammers to keep the house the same temp (i pretty much leave my stove on setting 1 all winter long... 2 on those REALLY cold days).
Their new bags appear to have a new label... perhaps a different blend now?

So, it sounds like you are suggesting out of those 3 that the Cubex are probably the better buy over the hammers for the same money? I don't mind cleaning the stove and emptying the burn pot, but of course it's a convince.... but its not worth $15 a ton :D

Its hard to point to one brand with the YMMV factor. Each stove will burn a pellet a bit different. If your stove burns one brand to your liking its hard to steer anyone away from them. Really if you are pleased with the performance of the Hamer Hot Ones. At least get some of those. But if you want about the same heat and a cleaner burn look at the Cubex or Okies. I favored the Cubex because they are less than the Okies price wise. Both carried about the same amount of ash. A slight edge to the Cubex because they were just slightly hotter too! The only thing that bumped the Hamers down on my list was the ash amount.

I have a complicated way of scoring, But you need to burn them in your stove and take temp readings. Tally the ash amount and then score them. I also factor in the price when scoring them. Hard to explain though! All I can say is the 3 brands you mentioned did make my top ten and high on that list!

Sometimes you have to trust your gut and your stove. If the Hamers deliver the goods go with them. But sometime this winter try some of the others too! I was just stating that the other brands do burn a bit cleaner. Which is less work for you overall.

Yes, I fully understand all of that. I'm just very new to this scene, and while I WANT to try every pellet brand there is, it's tough to get any good data without going through about 5-10 bags of them. It could literally take me 5 years to test every brand the dealer has right now for sale, and most of them are probably not as good as what i've used already.

My main criteria over anything else is high heat and good price.

I'm willing to pay more for better heat, as it ultimately costs me less from burning less.

Cleanliness, while nice to have, isn't a $ factor for me. I need to dump a bag in every day as it is. Whats another 2 min to scoop out the burn pot every other bag, and once a week shut it down for a few hours to cool to deep-clean.

Since the Okies don't seem to offer MORE heat, but cost more, i think I have ruled those out. I may try the cubex this season if a few others chime in and say they are good. I'd like to order 2 tons now and pack 'em away, and get one more in the later winter (late feb) liekly when prices are higher. I only have room to store about 2 tons.

Seeing that the Cubex and Hamers are the same price. Split the order and get 1 of each. Start the season with the cubex. If they don't cut the mustard for you save the Hamers for the cold season. Then get another Hamer when you can fit them in. Finish the Cubex in the spring when you use less. Kind of a safety! But I don't think you will use the safety though! :cheese:

I tested around 35 or 36 brands last year for the group. I am using my testing data only as a guide. So you can test a lot of pellets in one season 2 bags at a time. Then retest the toppers that you can afford later on. :)

Again you are choosing between the good stuff here and anyone of these brands are a really good pellet as far as Heat! After all, All 3 brands are super premiums!

j-takeman said:
Seeing that the Cubex and Hamers are the same price. Split the order and get 1 of each..........

I agree with jay on these 2 pellets as both being very good, and also about getting a split order, but I respectfully disagree on when to burn them. Since Jay's own tests showed a slight edge to the Cubex with less ash and more heat than the Hamers, I'd use the Hamers in the fall & early spring, and the Cubex in the dead of winter when it's the coldest out.

But hey, I'm kinda nit-picking now....they're both GREAT pellets!

I only stated start with the Cubex and save the Hamers because they are a know pellet for him. I think once he burns the cubies he will not need to use the safety! Tough trusting something you have not burnt yet and going by someone elses experience.

BTU said:
OK, I will get off my apple crate now…..

Apple crate, All this time I though it was a big ol stack of your favorite brand of pellets! :cheese:

I used to love driving my sable, Until I slide my can into a lincoln(jag in sheeps clothing). Now I hate my sable. Can't wait until the pellet hauler is paid off! Careful what you test drive!

I got rid of the Mercedes we had bought new. I like my Subarus and my VW much better - they cost less, and cost less to run.
:lol:

Anyway, the idea that a 5 degree difference in measured output from one persons pellet stove as being indicative of anything seems silly to me. So does the idea of 1/4 of a percent difference in ash content. Western softwood pellets are definitely good ones, but PRICE does make a big difference to many.

Oh, my VW does require premium gas. But I usually cheat somewhat there too - getting a middle grade instead of an upper.

The difference in particular stove brands, venting systems and other variables probably have more to do with consumer satisfaction than a tiny difference in the amount of ash in the pan.

After much debate, looks like i'm going to try the cubex this year. If oakies were at the same price point, i think the decision would have been harder to make.

Webmaster said:
Anyway, the idea that a 5 degree difference in measured output from one persons pellet stove as being indicative of anything seems silly to me. So does the idea of 1/4 of a percent difference in ash content. Western softwood pellets are definitely good ones, but PRICE does make a big difference to many.

The difference in particular stove brands, venting systems and other variables probably have more to do with consumer satisfaction than a tiny difference in the amount of ash in the pan.

I can't believe I just read that! The heat and ash content seem silly and then you state
Western softwood pellets are definitely good ones
If the heat and ash are silly and have no meaning. What would a good pellet be? Or how would it be judged??

There would be no grades of pellets if heat and ash content were silly! WOW?????

BTU said:
Webmaster said:
I got rid of the Mercedes we had bought new. I like my Subarus and my VW much better - they cost less, and cost less to run.
:lol:

Oh, my VW does require premium gas. But I usually cheat somewhat there too - getting a middle grade instead of an upper.

The difference of say 5°F for 99% of the population is mute; it's like 2% on heat, so I totally agree with you there. But that 1/4 of a percent ash difference sure sounds small when you say it fast, but it represents 52% MORE ash you have to clean up after....now multiple that over 6 months which is a pretty typical burning season for most of you and you are talking about a good deal of ash. Take it one step further. Let’s say you take one the brands that fall closer to the bottom of the ash pile. How about a popular brand that has .75% ash content. That is 272% more ash or almost 3 times as much. For most people that are having to deal with this every 2-4 days, which for most is a pain in the rear. But it’s only about 1/2 percent more...what's the big deal? The big deal is far more maintanance on your stove, your time and trouble and in most cases a lot more elbow grease and effort come time for the yearly cleaning.

So what is your time worth?...For some the super cheap, dirt in a bag brand is just fine. For others, having something that is consistant year after year, smells like actual wood, has a consistant length and size, that doesn't cloud up your window in 48 seconds after your stove turns on, puts out great heat, maybe even to the point of having lower your auger speed, thus using less over the course of a season and is priced fairly for everyone does make a difference. Not all, but some.

I have stated before that pellets are like Baskin Robbins ice cream....31 flavors so there is something for everyone....is very true.

A products value is something that each of us may have a different definition of. I have dealers that I talk too that ONLY care about the price. Heat/Ash/Fines/pallet size/ all that is meaningless (I am totally not kidding on this). Chances are you see difference brands in their yard EVERY year, depending on who the flavor of the month is. I have other dealers that ONLY carry my brand, or Cubex, or Barefoot. Why, because they know it works, they don't have problems with it and they can depend on it preforming just about flawlessly season after season. Chances are they learned this the hard way, screwing with other brands that just didn't measure up and when you have a customer yelling at you over the phone in the middle of January because they can't keep their home warm or some other reason, he/she probably isn't telling them to remember the cheap price they paid....

If you have a professional stove cleaner come out and do your stove(s) once a year, ask them what they personally use (if they burn) and I bet it won't be the "cheapest I can get" answer. Most I bet use the good stuff and these guys see the results of hundreds/thousands of stoves each year, so they have seen it all. Ask them and I bet they will tell you that 80% of someone's stove problems are fuel related and it’s not from the better brands. So like the old Fram ads..."You can play now or you can pay later"... (Yes I know that isn't exactly what the saying was....but you get my drift)…
Well,BTU you should stop trying to promote your product on this FOURM and start bringing your price down, OH I know do not hit me with the transportation cost because other west coast pellets are being dropped here on the east coast cheaper than YOU!!!! I thought this FROUM is for us the consumer to talk with out SALES pitches or bashing their competitors.

I have 2 tons of the Hamer's Hot Ones in basement.

Quick question though - Is Hamer pronounced like it's spelled (Hamer), or is it pronounced like the tool you use to drive in nails (Hammer)?

I only ask because I see a lot of 'Hammer's' spellings when It's 'Hamer's.'

Thanks.

BTU said:
richkorn said:
I have 2 tons of the Hamer's Hot Ones in basement.

Quick question though - Is Hamer pronounced like it's spelled (Hamer), or is it pronounced like the tool you use to drive in nails (Hammer)?

I only ask because I see a lot of 'Hammer's' spellings when It's 'Hamer's.'

Thanks.

Hay-mer....Not Ham-mer

Using nick names get ride of the confusion. I call them Hotties! :)

Just a thought but could the diameter of Hammer's pellet have anything to do with the higher heat brainsol noted? If the pellet is smaller diameter then it would feed differn't than a standard diameter pellet.

Hamers has about the same diameter of the other brands. Also has the same length average of the Cubex. I think the heat comes form overall density, Same as the cubies an okies. When I tested last season, I didn't check density, But I will try this season. exactly the same way PFI checks density. Blimp and I discussed it here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57579/

Maybe this is where we will see the difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.