Hampton HI300 airflow problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jophysx

Burning Hunk
Apr 12, 2011
SW Michigan
It seems like I am not getting the same kind of airflow in my Hampton HI300 as I used to. Specifically, the primary air inlet at the front/bottom of the firebox doesn't have the same "blast furnace" effect. It used to be that if I opened the draft control all the way I could clearly see the ash getting blown away, and the coals springing to life right in front of the inlet. Now . . . Not so much. The unit is one year old. I'm sure I've gotten some small amount of ash down the inlet, but not much. I've tried vacuuming out the port, and blowing it out with compressed air (from inside the firebox) but no improvement. Has anybody else faced this problem? Is there a way to take the unit apart enough to see what's going on? I assume I have some kind of obstruction.
Thanks.
-Jim

Hmmm, same stove here and it's on its 4th season with no problem like the one you talk about. If you have blown out the port, I can't immagine it being blocked. If you crack the door, are you getting a good strong draft? I think if you take the front blower unit off, you may be able to see where the inlet is for that port. I have had my blower off before but never looked so it's worth a try.

have you changed anything in the house ? also if your wood is wetter then it was last year that could be causing the stove to not operate the same. most likely it has nothing to do with the stove having a blockage.

Draft is still strong as ever, and wood is drier than last year. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it. I am still getting nice long burns (6-10 hrs) with plenty of secondaries, and good heat. It just seems different.

if it is working i wouldnt mess with it

Status
Not open for further replies.