Hampton HI300 versus Black Bart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyBusDriver

Hearth Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
NC
I have learned alot by reading your forums lately and was wondering how much more heat these new units put out compared to older inserts. I have been shopping around and really like the Hampton HI300 for its looks and btu's. But how much heat is 75,000 btu's compared to older inserts like the Black Barts, etc. A new HI300 costs a lot more than a used Black Bart. And isn't part of the game to same dollars on the heating bill?
Thanks for any input.

Basicaly the new EPA stoves are more efficient so less heat goes up the flue and you get more heat with less wood. To get the max BTU's listed by most manufactures you would have to stand there and feed the stove continuous with lots of air. Most burn the stove hot til the room or home comes up to temp then turn it down to a long slow clean burn the new stoves are designed to give.

If you have your heart set on an HI300, you will not be dissapointed. Last year we had one installed and I was concerned with learning how to run a wood stove. I had plenty of fireplace wood buring experience, but none when it came time to buring a stove.

My first month buring was Jan 2009, which was the coldest month last year. I was burning mostly oak which was only seasoned 8 months and this stove heated our home quite well. I did have to burn it hotter, longer, to get most of the moister out of the wood, but then backed it down. Yes, I went through more wood than I should have, but I had few options at that point. These modern stoves are simple in terms of use, and efficient to say the least. This year will be much better as I will have plenty of seasoned wood.

What you get for your money with that Hampton that you don't get with the ole Black Bart.

- An idea of how much heat it is capable of putting out. In the days of the slammer inserts like the Bart you bought small, medium or large and that is about all you knew about it. That a bigger box would throw more heat than a little one.

- The ability to attach the insert to a stainless steel rigid or flex liner in your chimney to both satisfy local codes and insurance requirements as well as maintain a efficient chimney draft.

- Easily get the same heat in the house with around 2/3 less wood consumed because of the more efficient non-catalytic secondary burn technology in the Hampton. That saved wood equates to cash if you buy wood or labor if you cut, haul and split your own.

- The chance to do other things than clean your chimney once a month because of the dirty burn of the older stoves and the attendant excess accumulation of soot and flammable creosote in your chimney.

- Glass in the door so you can not only enjoy the view of the fire but do a better job of running the stove because you can instantly observe how well, or poorly, a load of wood is burning. As well as know when to reload the stove. With the old stoves the constant opening of the door to check wood supply and burning stages wasted a lot of heat/wood up the chimney.

- A stove that is nice to look at in your house. The old Black Bart insert was a workhorse but about as pleasing to look at a black oil drum barbecue grill.

Outside of that they are pretty much the same.

I agree with BroBart. I had a slammer and was amazed after I put in my hampton insert. More heat and less wood!

If you're trying to save some bucks, a less expensive alternative to the Hampton might be the Regency I2400. Same guts from what I've read here, but without the window dressing.

One advantage the black bart may have is the firebox size. You can get some ashes built up for the coals to sit in. Long, good heat that way. Load it up full and it will burn hot, then the coals will settle down into the ashes for a long heat.

The HI300 is large enough to have long burns too. I can load it up at night around 8:00PM and wake up a to a good bed of hot coals around 5:00AM to restart the day burn. No need for kindling.

Not the greatest pic, but you get the point. The base layer is three large splits, the second layer is two more splits, the top layer 2" rounds or small splits to fill the gaps.

Attachments

• Full load.JPG
    Full load.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 341
stejus said:
The HI300 is large enough to have long burns too. I can load it up at night around 8:00PM and wake up a to a good bed of hot coals around 5:00AM to restart the day burn. No need for kindling.

Not the greatest pic, but you get the point. The base layer is three large splits, the second layer is two more splits, the top layer 2" rounds or small splits to fill the gaps.

8 to 5? That's pretty good! That's a few hours longer than the Black Bart with less wood.

HeyBusDriver said:
8 to 5? That's pretty good! That's a few hours longer than the Black Bart with less wood.

I think you are catching on. :cheese:

My 3.5 cubic foot firebox 30-NC burns longer and hotter than my 4.3 cubic foot pre-EPA stove could ever dream of. The first year you will burn more wood learning how to operate the stove. After that consumption drops significantly.

I went from burning five cords of hardwood a year to three cords the last two years. And they were colder than normal winters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.