Hampton HI400 Installed!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The shape and size of the firebox tends to lend itself more towards E/W I think....I have loaded it a few time with the first layer running E/W then everything else N/S.
You could try E-W and see how it works. I was not with the Buck 91 all day so I didn't experiment all that much with E-W, but I figured that if I did it I'd have to use the "tunnel of love" (N-S trench in the coals to allow more air to the back of the box) or maybe short N-S splits on the bottom and E-W for the rest of the load. To figure the usable firebox volume, I measured the width half way back and used that to figure the volume of an equivalent rectangle. The height was about 10" to the cat shield with room for a split higher along the side walls, less than you apparently have but it sounds like the Buck is a little deeper. I could get in 18" splits N-S, leaving a few inches between the wood and the glass. I calculated about 3 cu.ft. usable.

I'm considering putting one of these into an existing fireplace in a new home we bought this summer. The fireplace looks like it was designed for this stove, considering it's dimensions. I've been using a Woodstock Keystone in my last house for the past 10 years. Loved it, loved it, LOVED it. Just isn't practical in this situation but I love a cat stove. The Keystone glass would blacken in the corners too. What i learned over many years was that generally I didn't really need to stuff the stove full. I'd have the wood looser and a bit further back from the glass unless it was really cold and I was totally cranking it. The extra air space seemed to help. Also, while I could damp the crap out of it, I often burned it a little more open. With those changes, my burn times weren't as long but I often didn't need them to be and my glass tended to stay cleaner. I could reload every 4-8 hours in many cases. I have no idea if these tips would help on this insert but perhaps they might?

Status
Not open for further replies.