Hampton I400 insert burn cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpanella

Jan 4, 2016
Norwood, NJ
Hello everyone,

Last season my family and I purchased a I400 regency insert (Hybrid type). A few months after having the stove professionally installed, the installer returned to fix a (recall) of sorts in regards to the air inlet (adding a restriction plate from the manufacturer) which was supposed to slow the burn time down after customer complaints of it being too fast.

Reading up on the insert, I see many others having successful 8hr+ slow burns on full loads of mixed hardwood. I seem to be unable to get more than 3-4hrs out of a full load of 16" hard fully seasoned stove wood. This is with the air inlet completely in the (low) position and the bypass closed. Even with the air inlet completely closed, I still get pretty intense flame outside of the normal secondary combustion action you'd normally see.

Is there a way for me to even further reduce the air inlet without compromising the abilities of the catalyst? This restriction plate is basically a piece of sheet metal with a pilot hole drilled into it which sandwiches in between the stove and the air inlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.