Hampton (Regency's alter ego) Insert (HI300)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guad

Jan 6, 2006
No Va
I've heard from a couple of Hampton owners that said that they love the things but the majority of the posts that I see are all related to other manufacturers. I've ordered an HI300 and can't wait for it to arrive, even though it's going to be too late for this heating season.

Does anyone know why you never see anything about the Hamptons? Even the Regency's don't get a lot of "airtime."

The two things that I'm a little concerned about are:

1) It doesn't seem that the HI300 has a convection chamber that will allow for air to naturally be carried into and away form the insert unless you have the blower on. I'm guessing that that would lend itself to an overfire condition should the power go out and you weren't watching it for a while.

2) I can't find where it's drawing the combustion air in from. The Pacific Energy and Vermont Castings stoves all seem to have hookup locations where you can route outside air to but I can't find technical drawings with details on the HI300.

Any feedback? Calling all Hampton and Regency owners... It's time to represent the products that keep you warm in the winter and poor all year around until they're paid for. ;-) (Poor is a state of mind that I can handle so long as I'm not shivering in my own living room)

Man, I've been wondering about that HI300 for some time. Never see anyone talking about it, yet it is really a nice looking unit. Appears to be non-catalyst, big window, enamel finish. That's about the best looking two diminsional surround I've ever seen.

I would think your worries about overheating in a power outage would be unfounded since the blower is optional.

Not much info on their site about that stove, which I always found curious. I hope you'll keep us informed on how you like it.

:cheese: Hampton stoves were used to replace the Waterford line of stoves FPI imported from Ireland. Not sure if the Hampton stoves are made by FPI or someone else. I had a hard time with the FPI tech's and they would not respond to my e-mail or phone calls. My dealer was fed up with FPI too, could not get parts from FPI. It took 6 months to get my parts from FPI for my Waterford stove. I will not buy another FPI product again,,, but it could be just my luck, with the Waterford stove since FPI phased out the stoves to go with the Hampton. I wish you lots of luck and hope you do not have the trouble I did with FPI!!!!!!!! Greg

Hmmm... I'm hoping I will have better luck with them. Of course, I still have till April to change my mind. To ease other people's minds, I did hear from one owner that he was so happy with his first one that he is going to buy a second. Since they're backordered till April though, I would expect more people to have experience with them.

THanks for the replies so far guys. Mo, the reason we're getting that model is because of it's hot good looks. I honestly think they've got the best looking stove out there. Jotul's are really nice too but I wanted more potential heat. I was going to go with the PE Summit insert but my wife vetoed that since it didn't fit our decor.

Edited by me:
I just talked to the people that are going to install my Hampton insert and he said that he installed two last month and the people loved them. He also said that he hasn't had any problem getting parts from Regency. He did say that he was having a problem getting chimney parts from vendors but he raved about Regency/Hampton. FYI, take it with a grain of salt.

Edited again, by me:
Forgot to say that the blower isn't really optional. It's optional if you want a big hole in your insert but I don't think they carry a blanking cover or anything. You have to order all of the parts a la carte in the color and finish of your choice, which is strange since I don't know many people who would buy an enamel stove and order a plain cast iron mantle shield... But you never know. :)

I love my hampton hi300 it's been a major source of heat for our home since october I've cut my gas usage in half it would be more but no ones around during the day to keep the thing fed. And yes they are made by FPI And yes it has looks to kill. I was lucky enough to purchase mine off the shelf at my local dealer this was however before gas price increase anounccement. I emailed hampton about operating temp last week and he got back to me a few days later which was surprizing But did'nt realy give me an answer on shelf temp. probably too many varibles to give an estimate. Iwanted to get a thermo that sits on top but I don't think I will now. About the blower you diffinitly want it other wise your going to have a big empty space at the bottom not to mention not being able to throw some heat of the thing. We have tried to boil water on the top but you have to get the thing pretty warm with the blower off, maybe to warm. If you plan on cooking anything don't count on it theres an inch gap between the top shelf and the top of the firebox where the blower pushes air out. in an emergency I spose you could take the top shelf off and cook on top of the firebox. Otherwise we are very happy with our unit and can't imagine life without it! Also my dealer said that the regencys and my hampton share alot of parts like the baffles and air tubes latches ect.. so hopfully in a few years I will be able to purchase these things.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 12,055
So I checked with my dealer, and they just ordered the insert last week. I guess they were waiting for my inspection... I was under the impression that once they took my deposit that they would order the unit. I'm still waiting on an updated ETA for the insert... GOD, if you're listening, please let it be before next winter!

I have inspected about 4 300i this season great looking stove. Reminder if an outside chimney. I think they require
a full length liner. Also on page 2 or 3 there is language concerning intrusion of room air. Best accomplished with a
tight damper plate. Not bats of insulation. Another point they have a vent collar adapter that is attached by angle
brackets and screwed to the top of the stove 3 are required. The last one I saw had a poor connection and required
re doing aided with furnace cement to seal it. Outside air kit is optional meaning it gets its combustion air from the
room. The blower kit is also optional meaning not necessary for proper oppreations. I now remember they are installed
in a track like system. Which makes them easier to pull out for cleanning and servicing them, Pretty neat setup.
Again beatiful looking stove good luck

So I have to have an outside air kit so that the combustion air comes from outside the house? I do have an external chimney and I've been told they will be doing a full reline with an M-Flex liner. I didn't see where they would hookup an outside air kit to the insert though... does it just vent into the hearth and then the insert gets it's combustion air from that airspace???

Status
Not open for further replies.