Hand sharpening question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Hey everyone got a question.

I have started to get decent sharpening my chains by hand. Well when i cut now it doesnt start at 20" long on top and 25"on bottom :). I have one chain that has about 10 teeth that the file will not even start to cut. Its like running a file through that has no teeth. Get past those and everthing is fine and the file cuts great. I think this is the chain i rocked about a year ago and had to take and have machine sharpened. Is it possible that they overheated some teeth and now they are harder? I have plenty more chains but this has me stumped.

Thanks.

If the teeth are overheated by grinding, they could become annealed so softer, not harder. If the teeth are run into wet ground they certainly can get hardened. My father used to be murder on chains and was always running it into the ground. Some of the teeth were so mangled and hard that the file would just skip across it and get a shine on it.

Never had that happen but something is different with some of the teeth.
I had one that only one side would hold an edge, I cut several bowls before I just replaced it. Same thing, shaved a nail with it.
Do like I do, put all the chains you'll never use again in a can, set it on the shelf & every now & then add another one to the collection.
I have some vintage 1970s chains, a little rusty, small teeth, but, some day I'll find a use for them LOL :)

Maybe saw chains should have a core charge, if you give them an old one, no core charge & they can recycle the steel. Beat the heck out of my method. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.