Hanging water/air heat exchanger for garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
I have a friend who's looking to add one to his outdoor boiler and was wondering if there was a recommendation for a decent unit on a budget, or, what to stay away from.

Nothing fancy needed, 2 car garage, really not insulated well but just looking to take the chill out when wanted / keep things above freezing in the winter in Pa.

What's suggested?

Thanks,

pen

If I was going to buy something on a budget, this would probably be this or something like it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Hydronic-Water-Hanging-Unit-Heater/dp/B00FBDYYH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411174832&sr=8-1&keywords=hydronic unit heater

Old furnace and a coil, old fan coil unit is an option too. We run across this stuff all the time at work, haven't had to buy anything yet.

As long as he is not spending a lot of time working in the garage. Those propeller type fans can drive you crazy.

Air handlers with HW coils and squirrel cage blowers are much nicer to be around. Filters protect the coil from dust and debris also.

Watch the local Craigslist, airhandlers or furnaces run through all the time, just add a slab coil to the end. Most can be mounted horizontal.

Reactions: woodsmaster
If I was going to buy something on a budget, this would probably be this or something like it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Hydronic-Water-Hanging-Unit-Heater/dp/B00FBDYYH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411174832&sr=8-1&keywords=hydronic unit heater

Old furnace and a coil, old fan coil unit is an option too. We run across this stuff all the time at work, haven't had to buy anything yet.

That particular unit is not too bad. 50,000btu is very optimistic though. I'd say actual output is closer to 30-35K with 170-180* water. Not excessively noisy either and the motor only draws about .6 amps.
If you are going to hang it in a location that's not heated all the time make sure you have constant circulation through it. Those little tubes freeze quick.

Thanks for the advice / tips!

They work well, personally I don't like water heat in a garage. To much risk for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.