Happiness is a long burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Load up the T6 with doug fir last night at 9PM. Came down this morning at 7:30AM to a 70º living room and a 300F stove top. I know that BKs can do better, but 10.5hrs of solid heat from a simple non-cat burning softwood makes me a very happy camper.

Attachments

• T6_after_9_hrs_web.jpg
    T6_after_9_hrs_web.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 610
That is impressive for softwood.

Mostly big splits with a few smaller pieces wedged in. No pine, just doug fir.

My bad, Douglas Fir, I see that has a good rating for soft wood, about the same as Silver Maple so I can relate, not sure I could do that with Silver Maple but the big splits help a lot.

And this is why I would pick up a used T6 in a heartbeat if I every found one around here.

I just had a record burn time as well, maybe something in the air. I'll make a thread.

Highbeam said:
I just had a record burn time as well, maybe something in the air. I'll make a thread.

Kind of amazing. I have not been able to do much to stretch out a burn on the Heritage.

oldspark said:
My bad, Douglas Fir, I see that has a good rating for soft wood, about the same as Silver Maple so I can relate, not sure I could do that with Silver Maple but the big splits help a lot.

I like doug fir and fortunately we have a lot of it. I'll be burning some big-leaf maple next season which is similar to silver for burning. We'll see how it works out.

BeGreen how did your glass look after that burn?

For this load, at the peak burn, the stove was around 600F. Plenty hot enough to keep the glass clean. I cleaned it a week and a half ago and it is still pretty clear with a light ashen haze.

BeGreen said:
For this load, at the peak burn, the stove was around 600F. Plenty hot enough to keep the glass clean. I cleaned it a week and a half ago and it is still pretty clear with a light ashen haze.

Nice.

Dry wood pays off.

Do those T6's come in enamel yet? If not, do you have to repaint the T6 eventually? Just asking because I love the brown T5s.

Not yet. I was concerned about the paint dulling based on past experience with unpainted cast iron stoves, but the paint still looks great after 3 seasons. I think this is because the cast iron never gets as hot as it would if it were in direct contact with the fire.

BeGreen said:
Not yet. I was concerned about the paint dulling based on past experience with unpainted cast iron stoves, but the paint still looks great after 3 seasons. I think this is because the cast iron never gets as hot as it would if it were in direct contact with the fire.
Cool. The only reason Id ever upgrade from the Oslo would be for a brown T6 w the larger box. Thanks for the update.

What were your outside temps like BG? Definitely a nice burn. During the last few days - highs in the 30's, low's in the 20's, I've been loading at 10pm (full load of oak and ash), and wake up at 6:30-7am to about 69* and nice coals - not bad for a 3000sqft house. Cheers!

When I was burning pine at the beginning of the season I was amazed that I would consistently get a great 9-10 hour burn out of it without a problem. Now with a full load of oak I have been going every bit of 15-16 hours and with a decent coal bed leftover and the stove top at 250°. My wife stated the other day that if I ever get rid of the T6 I can leave with it :lol:

NH_Wood said:
What were your outside temps like BG? Definitely a nice burn. During the last few days - highs in the 30's, low's in the 20's, I've been loading at 10pm (full load of oak and ash), and wake up at 6:30-7am to about 69* and nice coals - not bad for a 3000sqft house. Cheers!

I'm at about the same but I know I can do better. Need to change the gaskets and having someone come look at the stove for leaks etc.

I'll say it again. For me, there is nothing more satisfying than waking up to a warm house knowing that heat was created by wood. Thats a great burn for a non cat.

It's nice to know that you don't have to worry about getting up early to get the fire going before the coals burn out. I heard Begreen needs all the beauty sleep he can get. Lol

I can't believe this myself, but I been getting 14-16 hours between loads. Sometimes around 250ish at reload, other times honestly at about 100-150. Not much at that point, but I load some splits in, and by the time I go outside to grab another bunch to put on top, the ones already put in are flaming.
Alot of this must be because of the warmer temps outside I am sure. But still, I am very happy this year to have burned somewhere in the area of 1-3/4 to 2 cords since December. This does not include the junk I burned from October to December. Maybe another 1/2 to 3/4 cord of fuglies.
I still can't believe it, but I'll take it. Of course I also got down to loading 2x per day every 12-14 hours, as opposed to 3x or every 8 hours religiously in the past. 6 seasons in the Summit, and still learning while burning.
Congrats BG, enjoy!
Maybe it is the warmer winter, but I am happy.

RORY12553 said:
NH_Wood said:

I'm at about the same but I know I can do better. Need to change the gaskets and having someone come look at the stove for leaks etc.

Temps in the mid-30's and windy.

Todd said:
It's nice to know that you don't have to worry about getting up early to get the fire going before the coals burn out. I heard Begreen needs all the beauty sleep he can get. Lol

Heck, I'm beyond hope in the beauty department, but I do like to get a full night's sleep anyway. I'm going to try a round of hardwood next to see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.