Harbor Freight - Not In The Gas-Powered Splitter Business Anymore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen an offering from them in years either. I machine the $999 Huskee/Speeco machine is tough to beat. I believe Lowes was carrying a Champion branded splitter that was an import and was sub-$1000 as well.

I have a HF 30 ton also, 13 years worth, rebuilt it a couple years ago, still running the same cylinder, pump, coupler,and brigs motor, Valve went south so now it's a prince unit. all new hoses and replaced the steel line with a hose as well. Couple other little detail changes, to reduce heat build up. I think they got their socks handed to them with bad cylinders ( gland nut, I think) a while back and poor welds in some critical areas ( rear cylinder mount) I did want to get that last model with the lift, too lazy to make my own.

I make it a point to no longer purchase anything mechanical from them after my experience with their 7 ton electric unit.

I thought I saw it. A yr ago.

I have the 20 ton floor press from them. Looking at those welds, I would THANK them for not building gas powered splitters anymore.

I also had to tighten up that nut. More bothersome was a leaky weld on the tank which, after I got welded up by a local guy, doesn't leak anymore (knock on wood). Other than that, lol, it's been fine. Just did a log load. Love the Robin 9hp engine.

Everyone has there own take on HF.
Mine is if it's any tool/equipment that could cause me SERIOUS bodily harm, I'll spend a bit more elsewhere & hopefully get better quality. I know they have some gems in their line-up, but I think I'd get the heebeegeebees every time a HF splitter loaded-up on a tough round & I'm standing there in the line-of fire..._g

I've had my HF 30 ton splitter since 2006 and put 6-8 cords a year or so through it and, other than that nut, I haven't any safety concerns. The beam is quite solid, I think. Other splitters have had similar cylinder concerns, so it might've been from the same batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.