Hard Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Decided to go up top and get after this hard maple, started cleaning the area up then cut on the left side then the right. Dulled every chain I had for the 20 inch bar plus the 18 then to make matters worse I forgot my file in the garage, so I finished with the 16 inch.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1067.jpg
    100_1067.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_1068.jpg
    100_1068.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_1069.jpg
    100_1069.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1070.jpg
    100_1070.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 100_1071.jpg
    100_1071.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 249
Ah Zap. Never go to the woods without the file!

Backwoods Savage said:
Ah Zap. Never go to the woods without the file!

Filed the 16 inch outside the night before then brought in the garage and left it on the table saw, won't happen again.

zap

Just take an extra chain with you and leave the filing for the shop.....

smokinjay said:

Smokin I did but the sugar maple dulled 2 20 inch, 2 18 inch so I was left with 1 16 inch. So I cut from both sides for two rounds then hit the trail for the hard hack, the 16 inch was the chain I filed the night before.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin I did but the sugar maple dulled 2 20 inch, 2 18 inch so I was left with 1 16 inch. So I cut from both sides for two rounds then hit the trail for the hard hack, the 16 inch was the chain I filed the night before.

zap

What kind of chain you using?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

I'll put up the picture tonight but I filed about 6 last night, the cutters are getting small. Pretty soon I'll be back to the line, but if I go up tonight new chains.

3/8 Stihl Safety Chain

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

I'll put up the picture tonight but I filed about 6 last night, the cutters are getting small. Pretty soon I'll be back to the line, but if I go up tonight new chains.

zap

As fast as your using chains (getting dull), I would use semi chisel.

Status
Not open for further replies.