Hard to keep my house warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have a heat pump and wood stove and live in central Virginia. While I am sure I could do better, my electric bills are reasonable and I've taken some steps to upgrade appliances, use CFC bulbs, etc. My concern now is less about energy consumption and more about keeping the heat in the house.

My house was built in 1987 and was some kind of energy star certified when built. I have a bonus room on one end of the house that is always 5 degrees colder and is where my wood stove is located. I get this room cozy when I am burning nights and weekends and get a little extra warm air circulating in the rest of the house from it, although not much due to cathedral ceilings and inherently poor air circulation from room design. I'm using the biggest wood stove I can without running me out of that room.

I use a programmable thermostat to keep my heat pump set to 68 for hours when I am home. I set it to 64 when I am asleep or gone. My heatpump is old but I'm still getting a 15+ heating improvement coming out of the vents when it is running. I think 15 degree increase over ambient air temps is considered satisfactory. The house is still slow to warm up and cools down quick. I have not replaced any windows or added any insulation. I don't have any noticable leaks around doors or windows.

I have several large sliding glass doors and bay windows. Air adjacent to them feels cold like a leak but I think it is cold air sheeting down off of it and not a leak. Still, obviously colder around them with the aluminum frames and such.

Is it cost effective to replace these doors/glass? Seems like a long payback period. I'm pretty unknowledgeable about attic/wall insulation. I would think an energy star certified house would have had adequate insulation.

Any ideas to keep it warmer besides 'turn up the heat'? I just feel like I am losing the heat - like the house is one big cold sink.

Window treatments such as window quilting on gthe sliders and any large expanses of glass are an al;ternative to replacing the whole unit.
There are a variety of products out there and I was struck by a do it yourself guys plan using mylar and roller style mechanials.
Just my 2 cents!
Good luck

It doesn't get cold in Virginia does it?
As the cost of energy goes up, so does the required "R" values in a home. You can bet yours has changed since '87.
I should have R-18 in my walls and I have R-.08 (honest). THIS is a cold house.
Extra insulation always helps but unless you are in the other class (the rich), it's a tough decision and I won't make it for you.
You got a storm on that glass door? I don't really want to know but people always say that heat rises when in fact, it is absorbed by cold surfaces.
You like tapestries?

Status
Not open for further replies.