Hard-to-remove stains/haze on glass...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samcanadian

Nov 12, 2019
Winnipeg, Canada
So just lately I noticed some stains on my fireplace glass that can't be removed with a warm wet rag (which I typically use) or the paper towel + ash trick.

I haven't tried a chemical cleaner yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what may have cause this or what could be causing it.

I3DMW0K.jpg

APsFOvp.jpg

-Only burning wood
-Starting fires with newspaper and occasionally glossier pages from ads in the ad bundle we get dropped off on our driveway every week.
-I have thrown in some cardboard from a few cookie packages etc recently, but I don't know if it would cause this?
-The ONE thing I'm concerned about, that may have caused this, is a couple of those "Mystical Fire" packets that you can buy at the gas station. I thought my 3 year old would get a kick out of them, and I'm starting to wonder if the only kick anyone's getting is myself, administered by myself, if this was the cause.

FIk5sxP.jpg

I wouldn't use ANY colored glossy paper to start your fires.
They contain acids & that may be the reason for your etching/hazing.
I would try some FINE autobody rubbing compound to see if you can remove the discoloration.

Reactions: Samcanadian
I've had good luck with lemon juice . . . or maybe it was vinegar. It removed some stubborn "stains".

Vinegar that is distilled with distilled water can be your friend. Wipe it on in a diluted solution. Let it sit for a little and then rub off with some elbow grease. Rinse and repeat. It will come off if the staining has not been there a long time.

Vinegar that is distilled with distilled water can be your friend. Wipe it on in a diluted solution. Let it sit for a little and then rub off with some elbow grease. Rinse and repeat. It will come off if the staining has not been there a long time.
Wow, thanks for this tip! I tried it today and some of the stain came off right away, but the majority was a little stubborn. I eventually tried dipping the wet vinegar-rag in the ashes and used that to polish the stain....came right off. Couldn't be happier, thank you very much for the help.

Reactions: begreen
I use fire view

The only thing I have ever used to clean stove glass is damp newspaper dipped in cold ashes and lots of elbow grease.