Hardwiring a room to room fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
The fan is designed to be hardwired. If there is an outlet in the wall cavity below or nearby the fan location, then it may be possible to pull a line off the outlet or box to feed the fan. But, one should be careful about trying to stuff too many wires into the outlet box.

BeGreen,
Thanks for the advice. I'm still waiting for the fan to show up at my door. From what I have gathered from doing some additional research is that 8-10 outlets per circuit breaker is about what is recommended depending on the amperage of the breaker. According to the manufacturer's info, it requires relatively low amperage. I think I should check to see just what is on that breaker and as you mentioned, check the outlet to see what else is tied to it.

Thanks again.

that fan shouldn't take any more than a 100 watt light bulb. i wouldn't worry about pulling to much current unless your running a heater on the same circuit. the outlet that you plan on using pull it out of the box and see how many cables (1 cable is a black, white and ground or bare) are in the box now. if the box is metal and 2.5 inches deep 1 cable is code. if it is 3.5 inches deep then 3 cables is ok. that's with 14 gauge wire. if it is plastic look inside the box with a flashlight and it will tell you how many cubic inches the box is. if it is 18 cubes or bigger then 3 cables or more if the wire is 14 gauge. if 12 gauge, 2 cables. each 14 gauge wire is 2 cubes and a 12 is 2.25 cubes. all the ground wires together are called 1 wire and the device (plug or switch) counts as 2 wires of what ever is the largest size wire in the box. example two 12/2 cables in a box with a device is 2.25 x 7 = 15 3/4 cubic inch. three 14/2 cables is 2 x 9 = 18 cubic inch. if a metal box is used each clamp that holds down a cable or two is considered 1 wire of the size being used in the box.
if that is to confusing tell me what you have and i'll figure it for you.

frank

fbelec,

Thanks. This week I will pull the outlet out and take a look at it. I'll post a picture of what I find.

The fan didn't come with any wire to connect it to any circuits. Only the little shorties sticking out the back of the fan.
From your comments it sounds like 14 gauge is what I need to buy, which I assume I can get at the local big box store. The directions don't specify. Perhaps a call to the manufacturer is in order.

EatenByLimestone said:
If your panel has room I'd run it on it's own circuit.

Matt

why, it should take about 1 amp.

Mostly it is personal preference. I've had older, brittle wires snap on me when trying to work inside a box. I've also experienced them so freaking short that it's hard to get your fingers back far enough to do work with them. The small steel boxes don't help here. Nothing ticks me off more than when I try to take the easy way out on something and end up making a big job for myself.

I'm also a bit fanatical about not overloading circuits. I just rewired the family cabin and put in new wiring in the attic I'm finishing off. I don't think I went over 5 outlets on a circuit. As mentioned above, some circuits have 8-10 outlets on them already. It's easy to plug a few too many things in when there are so many outlets/appliances. When my house was built in '46, it was completely wired on 2 circuits!

When wiring, it's often nice to have lights on in the room you're working in and not have to rely on a flashlight. I hate having to turn off the lights if the entire room is on one circuit. I hate screwing around in the basement with a guy over your sholder with a big maglight the most.

And the materials for a new circuit aren't that expensive. Square D breakers are only $3 and GEs are around $6. The local hardware store ripped me off on the cable connectors asking 40 cents each a few days ago when I ran out and needed a few more. I normally don't use 14-2 but it would be just fine here and HD is selling 50 feet for $18. So for $25 you don't have to deal with brittle wiring, can run the wire with all the lights on, be assured the circuit isn't overloaded and be assured it's done safely.

But that's me.

Matt

Nothing ticks me off more than when I try to take the easy way out on something and end up making a big job for myself.

Matt[/quote]

i hear that. that's why my wife keeps asking why are you always mad >:-(

*sigh* Mine asked me that tonight. I was in the pantry today and found a mess full of mouse droppings. I wasn't in a bad mood until I found out the wife found it already and didn't say anything. Now lots of stuff is going to be thrown out.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.