Hardwood and Softwood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syd3006

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2008
Northwestern Ontario
On another post a writer refered to Elm as a softwood, my grandfather told me many years ago the way to tell the difference between a hardwood and softwood was that all hardwoods have leaves and all softwoods have needles. I have used this as a general rule to tell the difference ever since. Is there a better rule of thumb that I could use? Can anyone think of an example where this isn't reliable?

Like most things in life, there are exceptions to this "rule," but by in large that is about right.

Isn't there soft maple? I have seen MANY "soft" woods mentioned on here that are deciduous (leaves).

syd3006 said:
On another post a writer refered to Elm as a softwood, my grandfather told me many years ago the way to tell the difference between a hardwood and softwood was that all hardwoods have leaves and all softwoods have needles. I have used this as a general rule to tell the difference ever since. Is there a better rule of thumb that I could use? Can anyone think of an example where this isn't reliable?

100% correct.

As you probably realize, "hardwood" and "softwood" have little to do with whether wood is hard or soft. Leaves = hardwoods and needles = softwoods (might be an exception or two). Classic example of a hardwood is balsa, which probably is the softest hardwood out there. Or take tamarack, probably one of the hardest of the softwoods.

My cottonwood had leaves before being chopped into firewood. It is very low btus low density. Just as willow or aspen, leaves. Then there is tamarack which is a very hard needled tree.

If you ordered and paid the premium for 6 cords of hardwood and then the truck dumped 6 cords of cottonwood in your driveway I think that you'd be pretty upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.