Hardwoods vs. Softwoods in the Stash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always been under under the impression that pine, was not good for burning indoors. I heard they produce more creosote. But reading on this site has me tempted to try some.
So you've obviously read lots on here that we're right and everyone else is nuts ;lol. If you have a dirty chimney and then get a good hot pine fire going you can get a chimney fire but that's not the pines fault its more due to burning other less than ideal wood in the first place! People will burn wood like oak and not dry it below 20 % but since you can dry pine in one season you can get fires hotter than you are used to. Many burners on here love pine. Im burning some right now (along with a split of doug fir).

Reactions: Wainwright63
Ive always been under under the impression that pine, was not good for burning indoors. I heard they produce more creosote. But reading on this site has me tempted to try some.

Welcome to the dark side. Don't take our word for it, convince yourself before you commit.

If you are going to try it, keep your flue clean and prepare to be impressed. I am probably going to burn about nine cords of spruce next year. It seasons fast and is relatively mold resistant, compared to my other local wood, birch. I brush about one measuring cup full of crud out of my stack very month or every cord, whichever comes first.

Birch (I think there should be a 'T' in the spelling) only has 10% more BTUs per cord but is way more than 10% more trouble to process. In shoulder seasons having a bunch of leftover coals can be desirable, but in really cold weather I want a stove full of wood, not a pile of coals.

Welcome to the dark side. Don't take our word for it, convince yourself before you commit.

If you are going to try it, keep your flue clean and prepare to be impressed. I am probably going to burn about nine cords of spruce next year. It seasons fast and is relatively mold resistant, compared to my other local wood, birch. I brush about one measuring cup full of crud out of my stack very month or every cord, whichever comes first.

Birch (I think there should be a 'T' in the spelling) only has 10% more BTUs per cord but is way more than 10% more trouble to process. In shoulder seasons having a bunch of leftover coals can be desirable, but in really cold weather I want a stove full of wood, not a pile of coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.