Q&A HARDY outside furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm downwind of a very inefficient HARDY wood stove. The overwhelming smell of creosote comes in the windows almost every day. What can I tell my neighbor to do to help me and others down wind from me. I'm of course worried about adverse heath effects.

Answer:

These outdoor waterstoves are exempt from EPA regulations and can burn very dirty. First you should check to see if there are any ordinances in your township about outdoor burning. If so, he may have limit his use of the device. The air controls on these units close when enough heat is produced, making the wood "distill" and creating incredible amounts of smoke. He can probably do some things to help:

1. Perhaps he can modify the air intake so it lets in some idle air, even when heat is not being called for.
2. He should burn only seasoned and dry wood in the unit.
3. Splitting the wood smaller may help it burn better.
4. No trash, railroad ties, stumps, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.