Harman 52i not working properly--low heat, runs dirty, excess ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what EVL means, but the 3.5 feet is how long the total pipe is. As far as how did I determine what to do, I used the 3" vent that Harman sent with the stove, and the other supplies were ordered through the salesman. I followed the directions and the illustration on the manual, as far as what to do. My setup looks almost identical to the one in the manual, so I was hoping it would do the job.
How many pellets have you burned so far since the install.?

You said you went up 15 inches, is that correct ?
Then a 90, is that correct ?
Then horizontal for two feet, is that correct ?

EVL should be below 15 with a 3" vent. Am I understanding you correctly? Would you recommend it be switched out with 4"?
Considering your short run it'd be cheap. We first need to see a picture of the pipe as installed first please, especially your doghouse.

And please provide a shot showing where your vent is in relation to the roofline.

This is the outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 195
How many pellets have you burned so far since the install.?

You said you went up 15 inches, is that correct ?
Then a 90, is that correct ?
Then horizontal for two feet, is that correct ?

A rule of thumb equation we are using has been adopted by most pellet manufactures. The equation is called the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL). All of the above mentioned venting restrictions have been assigned EVL values as follows:

1. Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
  2. Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
  3. Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
  4. Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL

Wouldn't that equal an EVL of about 8?

Wouldn't that equal an EVL of about 8?
In my question that is why I asked as I did. That 15" is really 15" and not mistaken for 15'.

I see the photo now, so we can add a 45. Still under. Not preferred but acceptable.

So OP, has this vent ever been cleaned and how many pellets have been burned this season without cleaning ?

Take a look at the picture. Which is what? One is necked down. . . .

Darn, my clairvoyance wasn't working when I posted at the same time as the picture was posted. lol :)

This is the outside. You can see the outline where the chimney was.
Sorry if it's rotated the wrong way. It's fine on my computer but sideways in the preview.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 180
Sorry if it's rotated the wrong way. It's fine on my computer but sideways in the preview.
Try holding your phone horizontally when taking pics for uploading.

Which one is the exhaust? Looks like the necked down one that's at a downward angle (or sideways as this site likes to keep me neurotic rotating my laptop all day :) )

As I think, technically it's probably not necked down due to pipe is double walled until the exit.

I saw 15 feet. Sorry. BTW look at the pictures.
Ya in both questions but probably not clearly I was trying to determine if it was 15 ft. That's probably how over 17 EVL got started. in that question i wanted to know if it was 3 liner ft or over 17 EVL . thinking somehow this dog house was encasing more vertical run than mentioned. . So we are past that now, LOL!

You did a nice job BUT - why is vent pointed down and necked down? (Assuming one on L is vent?)

The vent pipe is necked down. The intake is not. There is a screen.

The pipes have not been thoroughly cleaned, but the brush came in yesterday and that will be done first thing Sat morning.
We have gone through a ton of pellets since turning it on in November.

The exhaust is on the left and OAK on the right I'd say. Looks a little bit different to me. Not sure what the OAK is made up of. I have seen those tapered horizontal termination elbows like that by Dura Vent. It seems they would restrict air flow but Dura Vent does sell and market them as termination elbows.

Still not a real clear photo. Can you get some close ups and try the phone horizontally.

It is necked down got keep rain out. It is on the western side of our house facing an open field and takes a lot of wind. I didn't want it to push rain into the vent.

The vent pipe is necked down. The intake is not. There is a screen.

The pipes have not been thoroughly cleaned, but the brush came in yesterday and that will be done first thing Sat morning.
We have gone through a ton of pellets since turning it on in November.
Ton isn't bad. Now first point the vent up, get rid of the reducer and replace it with a proper shield. Also, run the pipe up above the doghouse at least. Really ought to be above roof line. . . . . And disconnect the pipe before you brush it out so you can get rid of the ash if any. You are also suffering from being on the windward side of the house.

It is necked down got keep rain out. It is on the western side of our house facing an open field and takes a lot of wind. I didn't want it to push rain into the vent.
Two strikes right there.

Many recommend turning this elbow down for rain. They are adjustable going from straight to a 45* max.

Many recommend turning this elbow down for rain. They are adjustable going from straight to a 45* max.
Windward side below roof line and reduced as well? And it's 90 not 45. Hard to see with rotation.

Everything indicates improper draft is part of problem. This isn't helping.

Reactions: alternativeheat
F4, I am not expecting blow torch heat but I do expect heat and not lukewarm air. After the repair guy came out last week, it started pumping out heat and we were astonished. Within an hour, the big and drafty room was about 76 which floored us. We were beginning to think these things are just overrated. I can't tell you how relieved we were to have this thing work. But it was short lived. That was last Friday and by Sunday it was struggling again.

I will get different pellets and try them this weekend.

I have a 52i, you are not expecting to much. The fact that the stove cranked you up to 76* substantiates this. As mentioned, could be install / venting issue but $5 spent on a bag of pellets is the place to start. The others here know far more about installation than I. Stay possitive, they'll straighten this out.

Try an experiment. Remove the reducer, burn and see what happens. Try to do this on a calm day or get a full side ell to replace the reducer and point it up.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.