Harman Accentra 52i ash buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattmotors

Dec 20, 2020
Upstate NY
I have a question about ash build up in the burn pot . Should the ash build up on the edge just before falling off or should the burn pot fill up. I pull the ash out of the pot during the day. The picture is about 12 hours of burn. I still have flame but the pot is filled up. I think if I let it go , it would kill the flame. Or could it be my home depot pellets, Or, Do I have an air restriction under the burn pot where the igniter is . I do clean the ash out from under the burn pot with my finger at least every 2 weeks. Is air suppose to move thru there and thru the holes in the burn pot to move the ash? Your thoughts please. Thanks , Matt.

Harman Accentra 52i ash buildup

Welcome to the forum. That looks fairly typical. You need to sweep the ash off the burn pot and scrape it to remove any klinkers. I do it daily. If you don't clean it off it will inhibit the burn. You should try a different brand of pellets to see if you get less ash.

Also whats the feed rate ? That can affect the ash buildup . Manual should state how much there should be during burn.. I tried a few bags of HD pellets., never went back..

Reactions: Ssyko and jackman
2 things, your crappy HD pellets, and your feed rate. Your feed rate should be set t 3 and adjusted from there, on 3 or higher you are looking for about an inch of ash at the end of the burnpot.

Reactions: Ssyko and gfreek
I do run the feed rate low. I will put the feed rate at 3 and start from there. I have about 6 bags left of HD. I picked up a ton of Dry Creek Hard Wood pellets . A little pricey but I hope to have good results. I remember back in the day, A ton of good pellets was $219.00.

I've tried Dry Creek. Post how they are .. They have 4 lines : Super Premium, Premium, Timberheat, PA Pellets. .. I've been using TSC house brand pellets for last five years, mostly out of convenience and have been working out OK..

I do run the feed rate low. I will put the feed rate at 3 and start from there. I have about 6 bags left of HD. I picked up a ton of Dry Creek Hard Wood pellets . A little pricey but I hope to have good results. I remember back in the day, A ton of good pellets was $219.00.
i remember when a ton of Stove Chow at Depot was $99.00

I've tried Dry Creek. Post how they are .. They have 4 lines : Super Premium, Premium, Timberheat, PA Pellets. .. I've been using TSC house brand pellets for last five years, mostly out of convenience and have been working out OK..
I got a ton from TSC. White bag with blue writing. Using the discount code from the Neighbors club they were $180/ton including tax. Not the best pellets but burn good enough for the price.

I just ran my first couple of bags of Dry Creek Premium Pellets as opposed to the HD Green Supreme Pellets (they were green alright). What a difference. ALOT less ash and my glass isn't all sooted up. With the HD GS I was pulling out clinkers the size of marbles. I guess you get what you pay for. $289/ton for Dry Creek. My house is about 2000 sqft. Down stairs where the stove is runs about 72-78 degrees. Upstairs is comfortable for sleeping. My natural gas furnace hasn't turned on yet. I could never get my house this warm and comfortable with my gas furnace.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up