Harman Accentra 52i Reline and OAK Clarification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Martin2D

Sep 23, 2020
Bucks County, PA
Just moved into the house I'm in and correcting some issues with this unit:

Relining 4" insulated liner as it terminates in a degrading masonry chimney.

Adjusting the surround on the right side as it pushes the unit left and will not latch on the left side as there is no clearance for the hook to catch on.

Finally, installing OAK. My plan is to drill a 3" hole straight out the back of the masonry below the steel shelf and insulation. I like this better than running up top to reduce the likelihood of pulling exhaust back in with Harman's perforated unit. I only have a 8x13" flue.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is an OAK below the steel plate allowed?

Thanks!

Reactions: slvrblkk
Welcome to the forum,

I don't see an issue doing so as the freestanding stoves do this and the 52i manual shows this as an option, I have a 52i and using Harman's plate at the bottom and haven't had any issues sucking smoke back. I also installed a block off plate and insulated above as recommended but smoke rises as it is warm.

I just picked up a Duravent Co-linear stainless cap that has 4" exhaust and 3" intake and attaches to the terra cotta flue which will be a project for another time /other stove. This could be another option for you as well to save you from making a hole in the masonry. It ran me under 150 bucks.

Welcome to the forum,

I don't see an issue doing so as the freestanding stoves do this and the 52i manual shows this as an option, I have a 52i and using Harman's plate at the bottom and haven't had any issues sucking smoke back. I also installed a block off plate and insulated above as recommended but smoke rises as it is warm.

I just picked up a Duravent Co-linear stainless cap that has 4" exhaust and 3" intake and attaches to the terra cotta flue which will be a project for another time /other stove. This could be another option for you as well to save you from making a hole in the masonry. It ran me under 150 bucks.

I looked at those colinears but they're monstrously huge at 18x18. If I was going that route, I'd just get Harman's perforated top.

I looked at those colinears but they're monstrously huge at 18x18. If I was going that route, I'd just get Harman's perforated top.

I have a 13x8 base on mine,Nowhere near 18x18 lol I've attached some pictures, If i were to do it from day 1 , I think I would have done it this way as the Harman piece is expensive for what it is.

Attachments

• Harman Accentra 52i Reline and OAK Clarification
    IMG_1122.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 117
  • Harman Accentra 52i Reline and OAK Clarification
    IMG_1123.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Washed-Up
I have a 13x8 base on mine,Nowhere near 18x18 lol I've attached some pictures, If i were to do it from day 1 , I think I would have done it this way as the Harman piece is expensive for what it is.

I decided to go this route. I anticipate either way will be a pain. This was slightly more expensive, but at least if the intake turns into an exhaust it'll be higher than ground level.

I decided to go this route. I anticipate either way will be a pain. This was slightly more expensive, but at least if the intake turns into an exhaust it'll be higher than ground level.

Let's hope not lol...Even when I had no OAK setup, I never got smoke in the house...the heat that warms the exhaust will always naturally pull the smoke away. I have no issues with the Harman Slotted unit, it is amazing what they get for 4 pieces of metal you have to cut and put together anyway. I purchased the cap I showed in pictures as I was ready to switch out the Harman setup this year to a true co linear now that my blockoff plate is made and in place, I just have to replace the intake with a new piece of liner, hopefully it'll easily slide down and line up. I also think its easier to pull air from above rather than suck it down a chimney,

I’m curious about that termination cap....wouldn’t you be pulling exhaust into your combustion air?

wouldn’t you be pulling exhaust into your combustion air
No termination of combustion air (OAK) is set lower than the exhaust outlet termination
Heated air rises and even if it did pick up some exhaust that air enters a sealed firebox for combustion
not the room envelope by the circulation fan.

My concern isn’t how it’s being used, rather the exhaust being reused and less oxygen for combustion. I can see an advantage with the heat from the exhaust piping warning the intake air if they are close enough through a chimney or stove pipe

My concern isn’t how it’s being used, rather the exhaust being reused and less oxygen for combustion. I can see an advantage with the heat from the exhaust piping warning the intake air if they are close enough through a chimney or stove pipe

I 'm not concerned about that being an issue, heat rises and for the most part this is pulling air lower than the exhaust and most of it is under steel shielded from the exhaust. My father has the same cap essentially , going on 10 years and no issues so far or burning issues with his original Accentra insert. Sure in theory they are in close proximity and one would think there would be more exhaust sucked in but that's not usually the case. The same could be said about the Harman cap, there is exhaust in close proximity to the intake as well.

That’s good to know, my neighbor was curious about the set up as well. Tried and true is what I was hoping to hear