Harman Accentra Insert Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RickPoleshuck

Oct 31, 2023
Hillsborough, NJ
I have just purchased a new townhouse with a Harman Accentra Insert Model 008. The stove works fine when turned to 'Stove Temp' but does nothing when set to 'Room Temp'. I have contacted a couple of pellet stove service companies. The earliest appointment is 5 weeks away and the longest is 3 months. I am quite mechanical but don't know where to start. Please advise.

Room Temp is controlled by the room temp sensor. I don't know where it is on your stove. Should be a black flexible wire like tube with a cap on the end. Should come out into the room. The sensor can be bad or not connected, but the stove will still run properly in Stove Temp mode. New sensor is about $25.

Much thanks for your reply.
Where would I buy this sensor? Hopefully, the sensor would come with instructions on how to plug it in. :)

I went to a pellet stove store in NJ and the 'salesman' told me that he only had time for his customers who were spending $10,000. I can tell you I won't be going back to that store when it comes time for a replacement.

Is the dial with the temperature turned up higher than actual room temp to trigger the stove to start?

Yes. I guess there are people who would not try that before asking here, but...
Always start with the basics. I have been troubleshooting Harmans for nearly 20 yrs. A good service tech does not assume anything. When you turn it to room temp do you get a blinking status light? That is an indicator that the Room sensing probe is bad. The sensor typically comes out on the circuit board side. Open both cast iron side doors and slide the cast iron ash lip out. you should see the black wire coming out low or maybe zip tied in the area under the circuit board.

Always start with the basics. I have been troubleshooting Harmans for nearly 20 yrs. A good service tech does not assume anything. When you turn it to room temp do you get a blinking status light? That is an indicator that the Room sensing probe is bad. The sensor typically comes out on the circuit board side. Open both cast iron side doors and slide the cast iron ash lip out. you should see the black wire coming out low or maybe zip tied in the area under the circuit board.

Very helpful. Thanks.

When I have done computer support, I have tried to ask every question twice. Is your monitor turned on? What is the color of the light in the bottom right corner?

Last edited:
Mine went out the other day. This is on the way, super simple to install. Amazon product ASIN B08LH99N3KI had a 4 blink error code. You can run it in constant (manual) mode just fine until you get a new probe. Before you order check to make sure something didn't come loose in the wiring.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Mine went out the other day. This is on the way, super simple to install. Amazon product ASIN B08LH99N3KI had a 4 blink error code. You can run it in constant (manual) mode just fine until you get a new probe. Before you order check to make sure something didn't come loose in the wiring.
Thanks,
I received the replacement probe, but I don't know where to plug it in. I think it plugs into the ESP module, but I don't know how to do that. This is an Accentra Insert. Any suggestions?

IMG_7318.jpeg

I had looked at that page, but I don't know how to get at the "rear of the mounting frame" without taking the whole stove apart. That makes me very nervous.

Thanks for all the advice. Hearth.com rocks!!

Reactions: Washed-Up
You'll need to pull the stove of the frame. In order to do that you need a service rail. There are many threads of people making their own with wood. I have a 2017 P52i, and I have service rail. If you can get help to pull it out it makes that part a lot easier. I have latches inside each side door. Do a forum search for service rail.

The stove should have the old probe still on it. Follow the probe to the connector, two small wires.
I just bought the house with an existing Harman Accentra Insert and no old probe. I pulled the stove out using my homemade sled. I used 2x4s, hinges and window locks to ensure that legs stayed up while in use and foldable for storage. Also, I found this link useful:
servicesled.jpg