Harman Accentra queries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nacmacfeegle

Nov 1, 2007
UK
Hi folks, new here so be gentle...
I have a new Harman Accentra pellet stove installed, I am convinced the combustion blower is set too high and I can't figure out how to reduce the fan speed. I've tried adjusting the wee adjustment pot on the control panel but there is no discernable difference in the fan speed/noise.
I'm in the UK so might there be power or freqency issues that require some sort of control modification?
I have no faith in the installer, as I have had to pull them on a number of quality issues, and they didn't know how to use the draft meter I insisted they brought along for commissioning.
Pellet stove knowledge in the UK appears to be pretty sparse, if anyone has any contacts for decent UK service folks can they let me know.

Many thanks in advance,
Dave

Can you give more information on your setup?

How long/what kind of vent pipe? Through wall or roof? Existing chimey?

All the pot on the control pannel does is lower the blower speed. I could not get it as low as I needed on my install.

You will only loose some efficency if it's turned too hight. Nothing bad will happen.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Its a brand new 4" st/st flexible vertical lining an existing (200 year old) chimney, just one bend (Tee piece with a cap for cleaning) immediately after the stove connection, then straight up for two storeys to a chimney pot/ cowl. I've got plenty draft, so I just want to turn the combustion fan down a bit to reduce noise, but turning the pot doesn't seem to have any effect..

Thanks again for your time,
Dave

Is this a freestanding or insert accentra? I had a freestanding accentra installed a few weeks ago and don't think the combustion blower is all that loud on mine, but I did have a problem with a whistling noise related to that blower which a technician was able to solve after about 45 minutes of head scratching. Is it just overall blower noise you are trying to go cut down on? Or is there a particular noise like a whistle you are trying to eliminate?

Are you sure it's the combustion blower? or is it the distribution blower that we are talking about?
Comb blower should be quiet( I can't even hear mine unless the door is opened.)
Dist blower thats a different story....
On the Accentra there is a toggle switch located inside of access panel this will cut the voltage to the distribution blower in half and effectively give you 4 speeds and variable speeds in between the low and high on the temp knob..
Where did you buy the stove?

Thanks for the support folks.
Its a freestanding Accentra.
I bought it locally at a local stock clearance type sale, so I can't really expect any support from the vendor. It was less than half list price, I paid £1000 (previously been quoted £2500) for it as a brand new stock item, and took a bit of a gamble......There are no approved Harman dealers in the UK!

Its definitely the combustion blower, and it is a noticeable noise. Its not a squeeling/whining, its the fan motor/air noise as a constant background distraction.

Apart from the combustion fan noise, I'm really impressed with the unit, its solid, and chucks out good heat. I don't use the distribution fan unless I want a blast of air to heat the entire house up. That is definitely a different level of noise!

Cheers,
Dave

On my accentra I can certainly hear the combustion blower, but it's just really not that bothersome to me On mine it just sounds like a reasonable (for what it is doing) fan/blower noise. I suppose I would love to not hear it at all unless the door is open (as it sounds like is the case with the harman advance model), but the noise from mine is about what I was expecting.

My combustion blower noise problem (doesnt' sound like your's, but read anyway just incase) was as follows...

When first installed, the installer removed the adjustable rubber feet because we bough an optional leg package, and failed to re-install two bolts that were originally used to hold the stove down to it's shipping pallet. This left four small holes at the bottom of the stove in the combustion area. When the combustion blower kicked on, I got an extremely annoying sound (which I would describe as a whistle, but others may not). At first the technician that came out was playing with the damper, etc, and making the noise alter with it, thinking he had to lower the draft perhaps. Also, the noise SOUNDED like it was coming from the lower back of the stove (around the damper area) when in fact it was not (that's just where the sound was able to escape). In any case, after filling those four hole with high temp silicone (he didn't have the actual parts with him), the noise completely went away and all I hear now is the regular combustion blower noise.

The two holes that were from where it had been bolted down to it's shipping pallet are directly below the ash pan. Remove the ash pan to be sure those two holes are filled. I guess if done properly the shipping bolts (or other bolts) will be in there. I doubt your adjustable feet were removed, but those holes would be more in the front corners (but on the inside). Look with a flashlight after removing the ash pan. IF you need to fill any holes, and don't have the parts needed, be sure you ONLY use high temp caulking designed for stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.