Harman Customer service responds to OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjohneel

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2011
Suburban Boston
I posted another thread ($4000 for complete P35I installation) about my concerns/questions about the need for outside air. As you all know, OAK questions are found throughout this forum. In short, my potential installer says "You don't need an OAK kit; just draw the air in from the house." The Harman manual says, "Don't forget to install the necessary OAK." I asked Harman about whether the outside air pipe has to go to the top of the chimney. This is their response:

"The outside air pipe does not have to extend the full length of your chimney. It only has to get above the damper. We recommend using the chimney top extension kit, part number 1-00-674104 at the top of the chimney, which is a slotted cover that allows fresh air to be pulled down the chimney."

Just passing this along.

Would this slotted cap still be able to keep water from entering the chimney flue? I am looking for any options to add an OAK to my Enviro M55 insert. My two option at this point are cut a hole in the back of my chimney or go down through the clean out and then out the basement window. The first seems like it would work the best.

Brad, I'm a newbie but have been researching this a lot. Most people on this forum I would think would say, vent out the back of the chimney first (I can't because my firebox is in the middle of the house), then go up the chimney second, and last option is to go down and out. Good luck.

My speedometer on my car says it will do 120 mph. The manufacturer has a speed limit governor is set at 126. But what does the law say?

Yes it can be done but is it the best way? Spend the extra $30 and extend the aluminum air intake all the way up.

And yes I am a Harman Dealer.

Eric

Going out the back of the chimney is most likely what I am going to do. The problem with the M55 is that the OAK connection is not an integral part of the frame like the exhaust connection is. This means that I need to devise a way to make the connection after the stove is pushed into the fire opening, most likely this will be from the outside were the vent pipe will come through chimney.

Your situation is a much different and because it is a new install, sending the vent up the chimney might not be a bad idea and Eric is right, spend the extra few bucks and go all the way to the top with the OAK. Then you can seal up the chimney cap such that it is weather and air tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.