Harman Invincible Insert Dist Blower won't go into high mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SXIPro

Minister of Fire
Sep 28, 2009
Northern MA
Stove was making a little noise. I powered it down waited a bit, powered it back up, now the dist blower won't kick in on high mode, even when I put it into 'Test" setting. Any ideas? Control Panel and ESP replaced last year. Been running great for last two weeks.

are you basing this on the observation of the volume of air coming out of the front of the stove?? You may just have a dust bunny or some dog hair on the fan blades. Sometimes when that happens the fan gets off balance and makes a racket, but the air flow certainly can be effected.

Blower motor cage was completely cleaned out about 2 weeks ago. Right now it is barely puffing air. When the blower kicks on high, it used to be like a leaf blower turning on. Now it just doesn't go into high 'gear' at all.

if you can, unplug the blower and plug it into direct 110V and see if it gets up to speed. If not, then you need a new one. If so, then I dunno, whacky control board maybe??

Well, I shut it down for a few hours, emptied the ashpan, cleaned the glass. Started it back up and it worked. I guess it needed a 4 hour re-set???

Oh well, warm again.

Damn it. Stuck back in low blow mode again. Tried 2 control panels, same deal. The distribution blower light comes on, but it is barely puffing even when the fire is roaring. Blower motor is only a couple years old. ESP probe is pretty much new. WTF????

Doesn't matter if I use room temp or stove temp either.

it shouldn't matter if you are in room or stove mode. hmmm. color me baffled, I will ponder this and see what i can come up with.

is it possible that the fan does get up to speed but you have a dust bunny or something in the air channel for the distribution air? You know, behind the combustion chamber?

Delta-T said:
is it possible that the fan does get up to speed but you have a dust bunny or something in the air channel for the distribution air? You know, behind the combustion chamber?

No, I'd still be able to hear it, if that were the case. I swapped control panels last night, no change. The ESP is basically new. I think I'll have to just direct wire it to see if it'll spin up. If not, I'll rip the damn blower out. Which SUCKS on this insert because I basically have to flip it upside down in the living room.

yeah, not so much fun getting the dist blower out of those guys. If you happen to have an engine hoist in your livingroom, that might be useful.

I had to sell my living room engine hoist to make room for a livingroom Bridgeport and lathe. The metal chips are a biotch to get out of the carpet. %-P

SXIPro said:
..... engine hoist to make room for a livingroom Bridgeport and lathe.....

Moved mine into the kitchen....much easier clean-up. ;-P

SXIPro said:
I had to sell my living room engine hoist to make room for a livingroom Bridgeport and lathe. The metal chips are a biotch to get out of the carpet. %-P

Is it a REAL Bridgeport or a knockoff? I think bridgeport actually went out of business or got bought or something. I use a giant magnet to do cleanup. I store the magnet under the cushion of my favorite chair. Funny, after a few hours of sitting one eye just goes all whacky.

Bridgeport is still alive and kicking. It's funny though, their mills have hardly changed at all. I first used one in metal shop in 7th grade (about 200 years ago) and the damn things still look exactly the same now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess.

Well, I called my guy at Home & Hearth, he gave me oe test to try and sure enough, it's the blower itself. Yanked the stove out, flipped it over, slapped in the new blower, stuffed the insert back in, all better. :)

Oh, and Home & Hearth has Okies and Dragon Mountain. They are selling Okies by the ton instead of the 1.3 ton pallets, for folks that are nervous about throwing the extra weight in their trucks.

Lousyweather said:
How much are they going for?

I didn't ask since I have a bunch already. Here is the number, though: Telephone: (603) 926-2084

Thanks....Home and hearth are good folks.......I even know where the Okies and Dragon Mountains came from......and the real reason there are only a ton on those skids! Okies and DM's are a good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.