Harman Oakleaf and Napoleon 1400C. Thinking aloud. Join the voices in my head.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnfalcon

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2010
Cedar Hills, UT
Been meaning to put a wood stove in for years. Tax credit finally pushing me over the edge. Have to decide tomorrow, or I miss the ability to get it shipped and installed in time. Would appreciate feedback from forumites.

Requirements and Background:
Live in north-central Utah. Winters pretty mild. Power goes out once a year for maybe a day. Temps sink to below zero only rarely. Usually stays between 5F and 30F during the winter.

I've got a 3700 sqft home. No existing chimney or any design consideration for future fireplace or stove. Funky design. Five staggered split-levels. Chimney would have to be 40 ft tall if I put it in the basement. But I don't want to heat the whole house. I'd just like to heat the main level and top level when the power goes out temporarily or permanently, perhaps cook on it too. In the meantime, I'd use it once in a while for supplemental heat and ambience. So I'm putting it in the corner of the receiving/piano room on the right of the main entrance. Ceilings are vaulted and open on the main level, opening up nicely to upper levels and bathrooms, as well as the kitchen and diningl. The chimney would go straight up. Ceiling is short 10' in that corner. So flue would be about 7 feet inside, and perhaps 7 to 8 feet outside. Hope that's not too short.

Thoughts leading to final two...or is that three...no, wait...
Always felt the steel stoves were ugly and uninviting. Want mine to look like a cherished antique, something warm and homey that adds, instead of detracts from the home.
Was originally enamored with enamel, but after seeing a number of showroom models with chipped enamel, wife and I decided we could live with plain old cast iron.
Am taken with the notion of top loading.
Love the Lopi Leyden and new Jotul F50 TL Rangeley. But both are $2500. Ouch. Good, reputable dealer, but bids on chimney and install were quite high. Plus they can't get further Rangeleys to sell until mid Jan, and they can't install anything until Jan; too booked up.
Due to another local dealer's sale prices, was heavily considering Harman TL300 ($2049) or Oakwood ($1849), but have since re-thunk it. Figured those 3000 sqft heaters from Hades would melt the occupants of the top two floors.
Another dealer, who sells his stoves slightly above wholesale, had a great deal, $1295 on a Napoleon 1100C. Was about set on that, but then ran across two brand new stoves, the Oakleaf from Harman and the 1400C from Napoleon. With Harman's $100 coupon offered online, the Oakleaf was $1649, and the 1400C should be about $1600.

Compared to the Oakwood, the Oakleaf heats 300 sqft less, comes with a heat shield, has a blower option (Oakwood does not), accepts smaller logs and weighs 70 lbs less. Requires bottom heat shield. But still has the nifty Harman grill option and IS A TOP LOADER.

Napoleon similarly did some nice stuff with their new 1400C. As a 2.25 cubic ft box, it can heat up to 2000 sqft, and they added a top door that allows you to place pans directly on top of the inner steel box for high-temp cooking. Only a front loader though.

This forum indicates some quality control issues with Napoleon in the past, but less so now.
Having spent the last two nights reading this forum extensively, I feel more informed, but find myself still a little perplexed. These both seem like good mid-sized heaters. Same looks. Similar heating capacity, efficiency and emissions. Both have standard rear heat shields. I can cook on both if needed. The Napoleon has the tight clearances, but that's because of its cast iron skin, which this forum seems to indicate prevents a lot of the natural radiant heat from reaching the cold room. So I'm worried it won't be enough, even though it's bigger than the 1100C and 1600C. But this forum also indicates Napoleon is more straightforward to operate and forgiving, whereas the fancy FireDome system of the Harman (while permitting the top load feature) can be finicky and I hear fragile. The Harman dealer says they've never had a single unit with FireDome problems or breakage. Still not feeling warm and fuzzy about it though.

Anyone here have further thoughts that might tip me one way or the other? Or should I bite the bullet, spend a $1000 more and get the top Lopi or Jotul?

- bill

Both are too new for us to comment on. If the Napoleon 1400C is built like their other stoves, I would lean that direction. It looks like it's a hybrid which would be a cast-iron jacket on their proven 1400 steel stove. This is similar to the successful formula used with the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap or the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5.

I think the 1400C is all cast iron BG.

Looks like a cast jacket to me, but could be wrong.

Attachments

• 1400C.jpg
    1400C.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,110
Sure looks like you are right. Nap needs a slap upside the head.

From their website: 'Solid cast iron European design".

Hi,

New to the forum and new owner of the 1400c. It is cast iron jacket around the 1400 firebox. we just started to break it in this week. We have about 12 hours burn time so far. Really love it so far. Nice looking and puts off some heat. I will post pics in a new thread later today.

Chris

BrotherBart said:
Sure looks like you are right. Nap needs a slap upside the head.

From their website: 'Solid cast iron European design".

Marketing, gotta love them. Note it carefully did not say 'Solid cast iron European construction'.

cdavis said:
Hi,

New to the forum and new owner of the 1400c. It is cast iron jacket around the 1400 firebox. we just started to break it in this week. We have about 12 hours burn time so far. Really love it so far. Nice looking and puts off some heat. I will post pics in a new thread later today.

Chris

Should be a popular stove. Looks good and has a proven nice heater inside at a price point that's attractive.

cdavis said:
Hi,

Chris

I'd appreciate that. Although the Harman may be slightly better built, the relative simplicity of the Napoleon and its close clearances drove me to choose the 1400C.

After I created some scale models of the stoves in paper and placed them on a model of the room and hearthpad, figured out there's no way I could go with the Harman Oakwood. 24" clearance from back corners (corner installation) killed it. The new Oakleaf, with rear heat shield, tightened the clearances. Still could have gone with that. But the Napoleon 6" clearances...that enabled me to go with a 48" hearthpad if need be. Still think I'll build a 54" pad though.

The 1400C should be here next week, and installed the same day, or the 27th. Excited to join your throng and learn all about the art of indoor wood burning.

Oh, on the 1400C, Wolf (the owner of Napoleon) confirmed it as a new model for 2010. I had to call them because the two dealers I'm working with here in Utah had never heard of it. They both had to call up the chain to verify. The exploded model posted above isn't quite right. The 1400C has a large door on top (making it look like a top loader) which can be opened to expose the upper surface of the inner steel firebox, upon which you can cook stuff. Here's the best info I could find (the last one I had to infer from other wood stove links, because the link to Specifications on Napoleon's page for the 1400C doesn't work):

http://www.shophmac.com/napoleon-1400c.html
http://www.shophmac.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/7188/image/25353/
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Stoves/stoves_wood/1400c.html
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Stoves/stoves_wood/Specs_1400c.html

In case anyone found it useful, I was trying to attach the matrix I used to gather basic specs on all the cast iron stoves being considered (and a handful of steel too). But the forum keeps complaining that the only filetype allowed is an image. Wouldn't do xls, pdf or htm, any of which would be more useful than this image:

Attachments

• MyStoveEvalMatrix.jpg
    MyStoveEvalMatrix.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,228
Yup, the 1400C is basically a 1400 with an outer layer of pretty cast iron. Saw one at our local dealer a couple of weeks ago. Looks pretty, but I'm not sure the cast will help it work any better really.

Done right, a cast iron jacket not only dresses up the stove nicely, but it also adds a lot of mass. With the Alderlea, this was what we have noticed the most. It really evens out the stove temperature which means less swing in the room temps. Even after the fire has died down the cast iron is slowly giving off heat for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.