Harman Oakwood Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going into my fifth winter with my Harman Oakwood. I had some teething problems with this stove, mainly a smoke smell when in clean burn but this was later traced to some loose bolts that caused a gasket to leak smoke.

My combustion pack shows a little wear but is still working very well. Each year I clean out the stove by removing all of the firebrick and vacuuming the fly ash. I do not remove the combustion pack itself but vacuum around it from the top when the stove pipe is removed. (Mine is top vented)

Overall, this stove has a steep learning curve and it better suited for 24/7 burning. It takes a good 1.5-2 hours to go from a cold start to a good bed of coals and clean burning. However, the advantages of the large wood capacity and long burn times are worth the effort in my opinion. Also, it seems to be a very clean burning stove. My chimney sweep comments each year on the lack of creosote in the chimney.

If you're willing to learn the stove's quirks and understand that it's best suited for 24/7 burning, then the Oakwood may be for you.

That is same with my TL-300 burning 24-7 when it is below 40 it works like a charm.
With seasoned wood, and a good bed of coals I am back in AB within 1/2 hour.
With less than seasoned wood and a good bed of coals, I am back to AB in a little over an hour.

best suited for 24/7 burning

Without a doubt.

I think you are right to leave the CB in and clean around it. I was taking mine out every year, but excessive vacuuming actually weakened it, as bits of it flaked off and went up the hose (that damn Miele really sucks).

Status
Not open for further replies.