Harman P43 Outside Air Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
First question. Is it necessary in an old 1900 house with not great insulation nor Windows? Secondly, I am doing an install with 4 inch chimney liner straight up my existing masonry chimney. If I did put in an OAK, how would I install it in a chimney space? Would I have to go all the way up some 25 ft? Do I need something specifically from Harman or generic flex pipe?

No it is not necessary, but it is highly recommended to install an OAK for the pellet stove...

1900's house, no insulation, original windows. I'm betting you've got a bit of a problem with drafts, areas in the house colder than others.

The OAK will provide the air needed for combustion of the pellets.

If that air comes from inside the house the makeup air needs to come from somewhere...it will pull in outside air through the existing leaks in the windows, electrical outlets, ill fitting doors. Using conditioned inside air is essentially burning the heated air and sending it out the exhaust vent.

Installing an OAK brings in outside air to the fire, then that goes out through the exhaust vent. The heated interior air stays in the house.

You may need to run a 2" or 3" flexible tube up the chimney, unless you could go directly out the wall of the chimney horizontally (might be the least expensive option, and possibly the easiest).

Adding the OAK into the installation will save you $$$ in the long run.

You would not have to run the oak tubing all the way up the chimney.Go to Harman and look at the manual for a 52i,to see what I mean.

If an exterior masonry chimney, there is likely a clean-out on the exterior brick. OAK can be run through there...

I ran one of my inserts all the way up, it was very easy and works great. I used 3" aluminum pipe that was provided by my stove company. The cap I used was designed to accommodate the OA pipe. Without an OAK and an old poorly insulated house you will easily pull in cold air and create drafts. In addition you will be burning air you just paid to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.