Harman P43 owners, couple ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
I am new to this pellet thing, I have read the manual, and am wondering if anyone can tell me how to make work for lack of a better term, better?

Do you just leave the thermister wire hang off the back or move it out from there and if so how high up do you have it?

I am using a premium pellet from a local company, have chosen room temp set around 67 ish (I don't like a lot of heat but a nice feeling of warm is great) I have max feed at 2 and the blower set at the low side of middle.

I do have ash the whole way across the front of the burn pot. The dealer told me that the room temp setting would heat the room about 3 degrees above setting before shutting down and then back on once it falls 1 degree below set temp. Now it is on and it is warming back up, can not lay my hand on the top of it or the side. Do I need my blower turned higher?

Why does the combustion blower run for so long when the stove shuts down?

It also rumbles or sends a frequency out that sounds like there is a helicopter flying over head, is this normal, it is not constant but comes and goes as it burns

I know I am going to have more questions, if you don't mind, I do really like it, but I am either to hot or have a chill, just trying to find that happy place.

thank you

IMG_0534.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0536.JPG

I am new to this pellet thing, I have read the manual, and am wondering if anyone can tell me how to make work for lack of a better term, better?

Do you just leave the thermister wire hang off the back or move it out from there and if so how high up do you have it?

I am using a premium pellet from a local company, have chosen room temp set around 67 ish (I don't like a lot of heat but a nice feeling of warm is great) I have max feed at 2 and the blower set at the low side of middle.

I do have ash the whole way across the front of the burn pot. The dealer told me that the room temp setting would heat the room about 3 degrees above setting before shutting down and then back on once it falls 1 degree below set temp. Now it is on and it is warming back up, can not lay my hand on the top of it or the side. Do I need my blower turned higher?

Why does the combustion blower run for so long when the stove shuts down?

It also rumbles or sends a frequency out that sounds like there is a helicopter flying over head, is this normal, it is not constant but comes and goes as it burns

I know I am going to have more questions, if you don't mind, I do really like it, but I am either to hot or have a chill, just trying to find that happy place.

thank you

View attachment 64270View attachment 64271View attachment 64272

Welcome to burning pellets! While I do not have the P43, my stove is very similar.

You will have to play with the room probe location. I have it coiled up and hanging in a specific spot behind the stove. It took some time to find the right location.

Have you performed the feed rate setting test? 2 sounds a little low. A Harman tech told someone on this forum to leave it between 4 and 5 and forget about it. The only time I turn my feed rate dial is when I am cleaning. I turn it to "test" while brushing down the firebox above the ash pan.

The only part of the stove that I can put my hands on when it is runniing is the hopper. The Harman P series does put off a decent amount of radiant heat. The stove will protect itself if it is overheating.

The convection blower runs during shutdown to fully cool the stove down. Depending on the intensity of the fire when I shut mine off, it can take almost an hour to fully shut down.

The helicopter sound is not uncommon with Harman stoves. Quite a few of us have been trying to figure it out. Harman had come out with a new burn pot that a forum member tried. They said that it still had issues. A couple people including myself noticed it happening when burning Green Supremes and when we switched to a different pellet the sound went away. I think this was more of a coincidence.

Hope that answered some of your questions.

Like has been said, do 3 things:

1. turn the feed rate to 4
2. turn up the thermostat
3. turn the fan to high

You may have to tinker with the probe, till you find it's spot.

Tom C.

Thank you for your help.

I did read about the feed rate adjustment or test, I am not certain as to what the desired outcome is, I have that inch of ash as you can see in the pictures but that is from normal use and not 20 minutes, so maybe I will try to do that.

I noticed that last night as I wrote my original post the stove came on and i about 4:00 am I got up it was 75, way to hot for me, it had run constantly for 5 hours, outside temp was in the low 40's the night before when it was only half that temp out side it would turn on and off during the night.

It seems if the blower is turned to low or just above the stove will cycle off and on and when turning the blower higher it does not seem to do that, and runs constantly.

I really like it and maybe trying to figure it out with the temps we are having now is not the way to do it.

Glad I am not the only one hearing the helicopter thing, I was starting to thing it was those Black helicopters coming for me.

Is it Better to run stove temp or room temp?

Silverfox,

I don't understand, turning the thermostat up, and the blower to high, if I am wanting to keep around 67-68 why would i set the temp at a higher tamp?

The probe I will work with.

Silverfox,

I don't understand, turning the thermostat up, and the blower to high, if I am wanting to keep around 67-68 why would i set the temp at a higher tamp?

The probe I will work with.

I'm a little confused, if your satisfied with the heat output, why are you asking about fan speed, feed rate etc and moving the probe? At the very least you need to turn the feed rate to 4, myself personally I would run the fan on high; but if you're happy with where it's at, leave it. Believe me, after you have run the thing for a month, you will know about the adjustments. Don't be afraid to use the search function on the forum. I think what the installer was telling you the thermostat is not 100% accurate and you will have to find it's spot, which may require turning it up. Buy yourself a small digital thermostat or two. Place them around your house, so you can fine tune the temperature.

Tom C.

Everyone else has given great advice. I run my P43 in Room Temp with the blower set about halfway between L and H. The GREAT thing about the Harman P43 that you have is that the blower will increase and decrease as needed all by itself when in Room Temp. So set it and forget it really. I have my stove set at 69*. At 67* the stove turns on and warms the house until the temp probe reaches 71*, then it goes into shutdown until it reaches 67* then the process starts all over again. My temp probe is coiled and attached to the back of the stove just just like the picture in the owner's manual. I highly suggest keeping the owner's manual near you and reading it through several times as there is a lot of information in it. Have Fun.

My combustion blower will run 5 hrs after the stove is off and acording to the book thats normal. No matter where the distribution blower is set (in room temp mode) it will stop if the room temp is met and fire will go to standby. This is to try to keep from overheating the room, if room temp continues to rise the fire will go out. During this time the stove can be very hot to the touch. I have my thermister about 10 feet away from the stove. I think this levels out the start stop cycles. My tattle tale thermometer never shows a temp change of more than 1 degree.

My combustion blower will run 5 hrs after the stove is off and acording to the book thats normal. No matter where the distribution blower is set (in room temp mode) it will stop if the room temp is met and fire will go to standby. This is to try to keep from overheating the room, if room temp continues to rise the fire will go out. During this time the stove can be very hot to the touch. I have my thermister about 10 feet away from the stove. I think this levels out the start stop cycles. My tattle tale thermometer never shows a temp change of more than 1 degree.

Your blower runs for 5 hours after shutdown??? Mine only runs for maybe an hour. You sure your not running those 11000 BTU pellets?

Reactions: mepellet
No my old model PC runs for a manual described 5 hours but it's closer to 5:45. If I ever have to replace the curcuit board the new one will set the run time to something more realistic. I just unplug it after 2 hours and clean it, never found a hot coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.