Harman p61a Igniter Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nitlion77

Nov 25, 2018
Pennsylvania
I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my p61a. I've tried a few igniter and each of them all have the same problem. The igniter gets hot, but doesn't glow or get hot enough to catch the pellets. I've tested the voltage and there is 120V to the plugs. I purchased this stove used, so I don't know if it ever worked or not. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!!

Make sure the burn pot holes are clear and there's no ash in the igniter hatch. It may be the pellets are damp. How long did you let it try to light? It might take as long as 20 minutes. I'd light the stove manually and see how it does for a day or two. I'd also run a self test.

Sounds dumb but are you sure it's not upside down? By the way, I had a problem with a replacement igniter. I bought a cheap e Chinese knockoff for around $35. Tossed it and bought a OEM one for $70 and it's been working fine for 3 years. P61A also.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
Igniters generally have more than 1 element inside them.Harmans generally have 2.Just worked on a St Croix that had the same problem,"part" of the igniter was bad.Harman igniters are cheep and (in most cases) easy to replace.A cheep aftermarket igniter may not have dual elements.You also do not want to open the door,to check the igniter,it will be turned off,and have to start over.You can plug in an igniter into house outlet,and check if it comes up to temp.,quickly(glowing red).Check the connections,to the control board,sometimes they get loose and burn.And,lots of free info,use the search box above.

Reactions: jackman
I've taken the igniter out of its compartment and turned it on and it gets somewhat hot, but doesn't glow or anything. Its done this with 3 igniters, 2 Harman and one off brand. The only thing I haven't tried is plugging it straight into 120V. I'm thinking its getting voltage, but not enough current??

I've taken the igniter out of its compartment and turned it on and it gets somewhat hot, but doesn't glow or anything. Its done this with 3 igniters, 2 Harman and one off brand. The only thing I haven't tried is plugging it straight into 120V. I'm thinking its getting voltage, but not enough current??
Well,sounds like a bad connection to the circuit board(not likely), or the board is bad.A Harman board on ebay is less than 300 bucks,buy one and try.300 bucks to keep house warm is frigging cheep