Harman P68 settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snodays700

Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
central maine
I was wondering if any one has any suggestions or preferences on settings on the Harman P68. What settings i should put my stove on to make it most efficient?

snodays700 said:
I was wondering if any one has any suggestions or preferences on settings on the Harman P68. What settings i should put my stove on to make it most efficient?

I have a P61A, very similar to yours only smaller. I have found as have most other members that have discussed this issue that during the warmer fall and early spring days that room temp mode works pretty well. When it gets cold, consistently cold, that stove temp mode works best. You can run it on room temp when its cold, it just runs constantly anyway.

I adjust the pellet feed rate according to the type of pellets I'm burning. For the "high octane" super premium pellets, I put my feed rate down to 2 or 2.5. My feed rate seems to need to be set lower than most. I keep it at 3 most of the time. If I put it up too high, I get a little smoke out the vent and it produces too much of a fire. I think most people run it at feed rate 4. You have to experiment a bit and see what works for your stove.

snodays700 said:
When you do that do you adjust anything else? (pellet feed)

I have played around with the feed rate setting, going anywhere from 2 to 4 and honestly haven't seen much difference in pellet usuage. Last year was my first year trying the stove temp mode and I kept the feed setting fairly high, around 3 or 4. I was using Maine Wood Pellets though (not super premium) and they weren't the hottest burning-that may account for keeping the rate higher. This year I am using a good softwood pellet (Vermont Wood Pellet) and have turned down the feed rate. As NewF said, it takes some experimentation.

From what I understand with the Harmans that we have, the feed rating is set automatically buy the computer when you set the temp. At least that's how I understood it but that may only be true if you are using in room temp mode. I saw the biggest difference in pellet usuage going from room temp to stove temp though, it seemed that the stove needed less fuel to keep it one constant temp rather than fluctuating. Stove temp mode though also seemed to keep the house warmer as well!

Depending on who you talk to you will get conflicting reviews on Harmans. I bought my P61 3years ago and I can't imagine having a different stove. It's easy to use, easy to clean and cranks out the heat (none of this addresses what you asked, LOL).

I will try the stove temp mode thanks,
I would like to try adjusting the feed rate, is there anything I should be looking for when i adjust? I dont know what to adjust too.

This is my 3rd year with the P68. As with the other posters, around December 1 switch from room temp to stove temp, resulting in a more constant temperature. Regardless, I keep the feed rate at 3 to burn my Barefoots. (seems to burn less pellets on stove temp)

Status
Not open for further replies.