Suggestions for new pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dudley14

Mar 9, 2019
Indiana
I'm seeking suggestions for a new pellet stove. * My dad may upgrade from his 2009 or 2010 Harman P68. He is 85 years old and looking to replace with something that has easier DIY repairs--getting down to access and see these areas is much harder for him. We have replaced a logic board as well as the igniter several times but otherwise it has been steady. We are not super close to any repair guys so the service call is something he tries to avoid.

Wish List: He would like something in the same BTU range (11,800 - 53,500) that will qualify for the 2023 tax credit, easier over all cleaning would be great, his Harman holds a full bag of pellets and his clean out isn't daily so he would like to stay with that criteria as well. The stove is centrally located in the house which is about 2250 square feet. It is the main source of heat.

* His Harman is not getting power (we've checked the breaker, checked the outlet, will be checking the cermaic fuse but assume this might be a logic board replacement again, He wants to weigh buying a new stove vs putting money into the Harman knowing the repairs are getting out of his range.

It’s way cheaper to replace some parts than buy a complete new stove

With replacing several mother boards, is the stove plugged into a surge protector?

Reactions: ABusWrench
I'm thinking the P-series Harman stoves are about the easiest you can get as far as repairs and general maintenance. The only thing somewhat challenging for maintenance is cleaning out the fines box - and that is nothing compared to some of the stoves that have all kinds of nooks and crannies for ash traps that even though in front, are challenging to get to and hard to keep clean (for an older gentleman).

Perhaps just getting him a new P68, so there are no more replacement of parts for years to come (assuming there is a UPS and/or surge protector), would alleviate concerns. He is already familiar with how they work so there would be no learning curve. And, it is eligible for the tax credit. Depending on how the exhaust configuration is, you may be able to raise the stove off the floor using cinder blocks (or you can get more fancy). Then he wouldn't have to bend down as far. You just want to make sure he can still get bags of pellets into the hopper after it is raised.

I agree with @Washed-Up , replacing that many igniters and boards if weird. I haven't replaced either of those for my stoves and I run them on room temp / auto so the igniters are in constant use.

What do you think about Harman Absolute43?
Since your dad has been using a Harman P68, he might be comfortable with the brand. The Absolute43 is relatively easy to clean and maintain. It has a large ash pan and a wide firepot opening for easy access.

I'm thinking the P-series Harman stoves are about the easiest you can get as far as repairs and general maintenance. The only thing somewhat challenging for maintenance is cleaning out the fines box - and that is nothing compared to some of the stoves that have all kinds of nooks and crannies for ash traps that even though in front, are challenging to get to and hard to keep clean (for an older gentleman).

Perhaps just getting him a new P68, so there are no more replacement of parts for years to come (assuming there is a UPS and/or surge protector), would alleviate concerns. He is already familiar with how they work so there would be no learning curve. And, it is eligible for the tax credit. Depending on how the exhaust configuration is, you may be able to raise the stove off the floor using cinder blocks (or you can get more fancy). Then he wouldn't have to bend down as far. You just want to make sure he can still get bags of pellets into the hopper after it is raised.

I agree with @Washed-Up , replacing that many igniters and boards if weird. I haven't replaced either of those for my stoves and I run them on room temp / auto so the igniters are in constant use.
What she said x2

Reactions: Washed-Up