1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harman P68 - Using 2 Bags a day - normal?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bdaoust, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    I have a Harman P68 in the basement of the 1,200 sqft Cape. House has new insulated windows and I believe decent insulation.

I usually keep the stove on around 68-70 degrees. Feed is on 3 or 4.

I am burning a bag on average every 12 hours. Is that a normal rate? Outside temp is on average 20 degrees at night here Western MA.

Pellets - I've burnt MWP, Warm Fronts, Heartlands (softwood), Clean Supreme and all seem to burn at the same rate. Softwoods maybe a little longer.

Thanks
    Brian

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Might be a LITTLE excessive, but if you're not sure what you've got for insulation, it might be perfectly normal usage. I'm burning 2-a-day in the P61A & have been since the early part of December. 1450 sf with good insulation in MOST parts of the house & not so good in the places I haven't gotten to, yet...
  3. Happy Hour

Happy Hour New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I'm burning about 2 bags per day myself (heat setting on 3) heating from the basement and my stove is the same size as yours.
  4. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Sadly, 2 bags a day is still the norm fr me too. It dropped to a bag or so for a bit last week when temps went to the 50's during the day. But with the cold right back in...normal.
  5. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    A P-68 can burn 8 pounds an hour if it is running as you set it. The stove only does what you tell it to. 80 pounds of pellets a day comes out to approx 27,333 BTU per hour.

Eric
  6. chuckster

chuckster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    Burning two bags a day with my XXV. Come on warm weather.
  7. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    Ok thanks everyone. I clean it well often, so I just wanted to be sure this burning newbie wasn't missing anything.

Cheers
    -brian