Harman P68 - Using 2 Bags a day - normal?

bdaoust Posted By bdaoust, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

1. bdaoust

bdaoust

Nov 28, 2012
    Loc:
    Western, MA
    I have a Harman P68 in the basement of the 1,200 sqft Cape. House has new insulated windows and I believe decent insulation.

I usually keep the stove on around 68-70 degrees. Feed is on 3 or 4.

I am burning a bag on average every 12 hours. Is that a normal rate? Outside temp is on average 20 degrees at night here Western MA.

Pellets - I've burnt MWP, Warm Fronts, Heartlands (softwood), Clean Supreme and all seem to burn at the same rate. Softwoods maybe a little longer.

Thanks
    Brian

2. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Might be a LITTLE excessive, but if you're not sure what you've got for insulation, it might be perfectly normal usage. I'm burning 2-a-day in the P61A & have been since the early part of December. 1450 sf with good insulation in MOST parts of the house & not so good in the places I haven't gotten to, yet...

3. Happy Hour

Happy Hour

Jan 24, 2013
    Loc:
    Maine
    I'm burning about 2 bags per day myself (heat setting on 3) heating from the basement and my stove is the same size as yours.

4. gbreda

gbreda
    Minister of Fire

Aug 3, 2009
    Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Sadly, 2 bags a day is still the norm fr me too. It dropped to a bag or so for a bit last week when temps went to the 50's during the day. But with the cold right back in...normal.

5. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    A P-68 can burn 8 pounds an hour if it is running as you set it. The stove only does what you tell it to. 80 pounds of pellets a day comes out to approx 27,333 BTU per hour.

Eric

6. chuckster

chuckster
    Burning Hunk

Jan 21, 2012
    Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    Burning two bags a day with my XXV. Come on warm weather.

7. bdaoust

bdaoust

Nov 28, 2012
    Loc:
    Western, MA
    Ok thanks everyone. I clean it well often, so I just wanted to be sure this burning newbie wasn't missing anything.

Cheers
    -brian