Harman P68 Your Favorite Setting for Low & Slow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levamealone

Mar 29, 2011
Lakes Region, NH

Newer to Pellet Stoves and trying to figure out how to keep a steady burn rate. Problem, with the basement install, I want to keep the blower on High to move the
air as much as possible but when I have it on High it seems to increase the feed rate?
Current settings are Feed Rate between 2 and 3, blower on room temp. High, Temp. between 75 and 80 (#5).
Other factors - I have a standing fan that moves air across the stove and vent area.

Can someone help me understand how the High setting on the Blower (Room Temp or Stove Temp) interacts with the feed rate and temp. setting?

Merry Christmas!

I'm no expert, but it could be because you're moving more air through the heat exchanger so it runs cooler, therefore the stove needs to feed more pellets in order to maintain temp. With my P61A, i seem to get more heat out of it when I run the blower at a medium to medium high setting.

I have the Accentra insert...try leaving your feed rate on 4...the Harmans will adjust to a lower one if it needs it.
Try running it in stove temp...say...3-4 and turning your blower to stove mode of course,set in the middle to 3/4...
I set mine in room temp at 75 and went through a whole hopper full in about 10 hrs...what i think happened was the room never reached said temp cause the blower blew the heat way away from the sensor ,so it kept running.
I run mine pretty much in stove temp now,unless its in the 50's
Now for the fan blowing across the stove...
I have a coal stove in my basement...once i tried putting a fan behind it,in the corner..to blow heat towards the cellar stairs..well...that didnt work for beans,as the air was replaced with cold air so i eneded up blowing cold air across the stove...
So not knowing how your house is set up...i would try not using the standing fan.
My insert is in the living room of a ranch home...the blower moves the heat fine through the whole house...make a 180 turn to heat the kitchen and entry way....

bugize said:
I have the Accentra insert...try leaving your feed rate on 4...the Harmans will adjust to a lower one if it needs it.
Try running it in stove temp...say...3-4 and turning your blower to stove mode of course,set in the middle to 3/4...
I set mine in room temp at 75 and went through a whole hopper full in about 10 hrs...what i think happened was the room never reached said temp cause the blower blew the heat way away from the sensor ,so it kept running.
I run mine pretty much in stove temp now,unless its in the 50's
Now for the fan blowing across the stove...
I have a coal stove in my basement...once i tried putting a fan behind it,in the corner..to blow heat towards the cellar stairs..well...that didnt work for beans,as the air was replaced with cold air so i eneded up blowing cold air across the stove...
So not knowing how your house is set up...i would try not using the standing fan.
My insert is in the living room of a ranch home...the blower moves the heat fine through the whole house...make a 180 turn to heat the kitchen and entry way....

I tried using a satnding fan myself with the same results. Better off without it.

You will use more pellets w/ a higher fan setting on stove temp. Stove is varying feed to keep stove esp sensor at a set temp, if you are pulling more or less heat off the stove it will vary feed rate. Your feed rate dial is bypassed in stove temp mode I think. You are setting the stove temp on the inside numbers1-7 on the dial w/ the temp on it. Kind of a confusing set up.

The fan is controlled by the computer, so set and forget. What you want to do would lead to overcooling the flue gasses which could cause them to condense in your piping which is not good. Just run stove temp switch to auto (auto is important), fan switch on high, feed rate to 3 and enjoy.

Read my signiature for more details.

lbcynya said:
The fan is controlled by the computer, so set and forget. What you want to do would lead to overcooling the flue gasses which could cause them to condense in your piping which is not good. Just run stove temp switch to auto (auto is important), fan switch on high, feed rate to 3 and enjoy.

Read my signiature for more details.
I read your thread on How your stove works, great info. Thank You!
Thanks for the info on the fan, I think I will move it to the stairway and have it help the air flow up.
Last night I set it to stove temp #5, blower med, feed below 3 and it worked so great I had to set the stove temp to #4.
I got more heat with less pellets over time!

Thanks everyone for the great info!

Status
Not open for further replies.