Harman P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trucker12

Nov 28, 2019
east coast
I think I have a problem with my Harman p68 getting too hot sometimes. Every now and then I just smell heat and when I go near the stove it is really hot the sides are so hot you can feel the heat. I have a piece of wood furniture about 2 feet away and the side of it is almost so hot you can't touch it. Even the pipe is very hot. The fans seem to be working so I was wondering if there is a high/low limit switch or something causing this to happen. 95% of the time it runs great it's just scares me when it does this. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Are you sure the distribution (room air) fan is running? If not it won't push the heat out of the stove and could cause it to overheat.

has the room fan ever been cleaned

has the room fan ever been cleaned
The room air fan has been cleaned, but it seems to run at the same speed all the time. If I start it up it runs at the same speed as when it has been running when hot. You would think being set up using the room temp it would blow at different speeds. My other stove I had setting for room fan speed.

How many years have you been burning the stove? Are you running in stove temp or room temp? Running in auto or manual?

You replied while I was responding & it looks like you answered one of my questions, see the others. Have you tried the stove in test mode (after its off & cooled down of course) to make sure the motors ramp up & down like they should?

You replied while I was responding & it looks like you answered one of my questions, see the others. Have you tried the stove in test mode (after its off & cooled down of course) to make sure the motors ramp up & down like they should?
No I have not tried that. What I have noticed is that it does take forever to shut down if i want to shut it down to clean it. I'm talking like an hour or more.

Yes, they do take a long time to shut down, I'm sure you are aware the Harman P Series stoves do produce quite a bit of radiant heat unlike many other stoves right? There isn't really any type of high/low limit per say, the Harman stoves use the ESP (and depending if using in room temp or stove temp the room temp sensor also comes into play) to limit the stove output. Others may chime in here, but I myself have never had a Harman "over fire", the ESP actually does quite well.

I know Harman offers side shields for my P-61, do they for a 68? My experience is these things are heat monsters and do get pretty hot.

I thought that is one of the things that was good about them (radiant heat that is)!

Trucker12; are you starting (or running) the stove in room temp high? If so, that is why the distribution blower runs on high; i.e. set it at medium or low & the distribution fan will run at what you set it at to satisfy temp call than go back to idle until needed again.

I think I have a problem with my Harman p68 getting too hot sometimes. Every now and then I just smell heat and when I go near the stove it is really hot the sides are so hot you can feel the heat. I have a piece of wood furniture about 2 feet away and the side of it is almost so hot you can't touch it. Even the pipe is very hot. The fans seem to be working so I was wondering if there is a high/low limit switch or something causing this to happen. 95% of the time it runs great it's just scares me when it does this. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

By the way, 20" is the minimum clearance from combustables without side shields for your P68. Good judgment must come into play at some point, only you know what is going on with your particular arrangement.

Reactions: Ssyko
I just bought the stove used in sept 2019 ran it all winter on room temp, auto. Stove was manufactured 2005

What temperature do you have it set to? And where is your room temperature probe? If the probe is up against a cold wall, drafty place, or near a window, it will make the stove crank like crazy to get that probe to the temperature you set on the stove. Mine is just coiled up behind the stove with a twisty. It's about 4 inches from the back of the pellet hopper where it comes out of the stove.

If you haven't scraped the heat exchanger in awhile, then the distribution fan can't get the heat away from the stove.

I always have my fan set at the highest level, unless we're in the room and want it to be quieter. The fan does not ramp up and down, it stays where I put it.