Harman PB105 combustion blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wil lanfear

Feeling the Heat
May 10, 2008
vermont
After 14 months of use with the combustion blower running all the time the Harman Co. has come through for me. I had a Harman rep come to look at my boiler a couple of weeks ago to find out why the burnpot was developing a bubble on the surface above the igniter. It took him all of 2 min. after looking at it to tell me this was not the first one he had seen do this. The cause was from the igniter being on to long a period of time after the pellets ignited. The fix is to replace the controller which has a newer program installed in it, turns the igniter off when the ESP senses 180 degree exhaust temp. The replacement controller is the same one that is used in the new Hydroflex 60 boiler. Time will tell if this will stop the bubble from forming but.......... this new contrller DOES SHUT DOWN the combustion blower about 31 min. after the status light goes out (boiler reaches high temp setting). I think any PB105 manufactured after Sept. or Oct. of 2008 has the new controller installed. The old boiler controller part # 3-20-05630A which was in my boiler was replaced with the new part # 3-20-06143A.

This is good to know. I bought one manufactured 9/08 and the manual states the old controller PN but not sure what's actually installed in it because I still haven't hooked it up yet. My boiler guy got busy last winter and so did I. If I do have the older PN do you think that Harman would swap me in a new one at no charge? It might be wishful thinking but just wondering what their policy is on changing these out.

I suggest that you remove the two screws that are holding the controller in its location, check the part number on the controller (circuit board) to see actually what controller you have. If you have the old part number, I would talk to the dealer that you purchased the boiler from to get his thoughts. The Harman factory rep told me the old board will cause the igniter to be on to long a period of time which will cause bubbles on the surface of the burnpot, it happened three times on mine. I would think, if you have the old controller, your dealer would want to replace it before these bubbles form.

Chittenden said:
Can you say your dealer? Mine doesn't seem too up on things.
The dealer I purchased my boiler from is the Stove Depot in Rutland, Vt.

Status
Not open for further replies.