Harman PC45 purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete1018

Hearth Supporter
Dec 28, 2009
Kawartha Lakes,Ontario
Just was cruising Kijiji and came across a PC45 for sale. As I was the first reply they gave me first dibs on it at $175 so I drove 5 hours to get it. Got it home plugged it in and the remnant corn pellet mix fired up. Needs a good cleaning as it seems to have lots of interior rust I think is from corn burning. I ordered the pellet kit as I will most likely be burning pellets vs corn. I am going to install it vs the Advance that I have as it looks much simpler to maintain plus has the multi-fuel option. Would stove paint hold up to the interior temps? Also the dealer info said a year of 2006 can I date this stove some how by serial number?
Thanks

pete1018 said:
Just was cruising Kijiji and came across a PC45 for sale. As I was the first reply they gave me first dibs on it at $175 so I drove 5 hours to get it. Got it home plugged it in and the remnant corn pellet mix fired up. Needs a good cleaning as it seems to have lots of interior rust I think is from corn burning. I ordered the pellet kit as I will most likely be burning pellets vs corn. I am going to install it vs the Advance that I have as it looks much simpler to maintain plus has the multi-fuel option. Would stove paint hold up to the interior temps? Also the dealer info said a year of 2006 can I date this stove some how by serial number?
Thanks

The date will be on the testing tag on the stove (normally tested by Warnock Hersey).. It will have the date of Manufacture.

As for the paint. The paint kinda burns off. Or at least over time, the heat and ash turn it grey. You can paint it with high temp paint anyways. It will look better and will still help against corrosion in the long run..

You said you bought the pellet vent?? For a Multi-fuel stove?? You said your gonna burn pellets? Then you said your installing it because of the multi fuel option? Do yourself a favor and get multi-fuel venting (if your gonna burn other fuels).

I painted mine at the end of last season. Only took a minute to do. Ran the leafblower on the vent outside, and that sucked all the fumes straight out of the firebox. Gonna continue to do it every year. It does burn off (for the most part), but helps with surface rust over the Summer and adds a layer of protection for the 1st part of burning season.

Here are a couple pics. This is after paint and then today with about 1 ton burned.

Attachments

• index-8.jpeg
    index-8.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 174
  • index-9.jpeg
    index-9.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 186
  • pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 193
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 200
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the pellet burn pot kit not the venting. I plan on installing it on the main floor where the Regency wood stove sits. I just have to figure out how I will pass it through the brick vs running another liner or vent pipe as my roof is steep and would not want to climb it every month. Maybe through the clean out which is on the exterior brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.