Harman Pr0 38

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jksnvly

Sep 28, 2007
New member here. I am in the market for a pellet stove for a new second home in upstate Pa.. Ranch style 1000sf. We anticipate visiting three weekends a month, I will stay longer periods to hunt etc.. I am looking hard at the Harman 38, I know it isn't as feature laden as other models, but realistically once I start it for these relatively short stays, I can't imaging having to shut it down. Does anyone use one for similar reasons? Any thoughts on this particular stove would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For the application you're talking about I think the 38 may suit your needs. Some factors to consider is insulation, windows, floor layout, all considered, if only 1000 sqft, I would think this model will suit your needs.

On another note - I know the P61 will definitely work. I had been trying to heat my 1300sqft open, noninsulated, completely inefficient 100yr old basement as we use it part time for game/exercise, and dog quarters ( 3 greyhounds). I had tried a couple of different pellet stoves with decent results. I then bought the P61 and that changed overnight! I have never had any problems in the coldest NYS nights keeping it at whatever temperature I desired (68, 76, or better degrees) - this stove is awesome!

If you're willing to spend a few more dollars, the P61 may be worth a look. I'll let the others chime in on their opinions.

My place is new this year, 2x6 exterior walls, very good windows, very well insulated. Mainly want the heat for the open living/dining kictchen area, bedroom can be cool and I can use the elec baseboard in the bathroom ((s) if we have company up).

I just installed a P61A into my camp in upstate PA (900 sq. ft.) I know it's way to big but I would rather have the heat when If and when I need it. I also have 2X6 studding and have it very well insulated but as I and about 5 other guys are walking in and out during hunting season we are going to lose alot of that heat out the doors. I have nothing against the P38 BUT it will be nice to just walk into the place turn the unit to the on position and walk away and start getting my things ready for hunting rather than sitting in front of a stove trying to get it lit with starter gel. I have heard of people having issues on how long it takes to get the pellets to ignite at times. AND if you don't use enough starter gel they may not light anyway.

jksnvly said:
New member here. I am in the market for a pellet stove for a new second home in upstate Pa.. Ranch style 1000sf. We anticipate visiting three weekends a month, I will stay longer periods to hunt etc.. I am looking hard at the Harman 38, I know it isn't as feature laden as other models, but realistically once I start it for these relatively short stays, I can't imaging having to shut it down. Does anyone use one for similar reasons? Any thoughts on this particular stove would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've burned the P38 and it's a nice little stove. Simple. It just works. If you don't mind starting the fire yourself, instead of an auto ignitor, I think you will love it.

Sean

Well, I bought one yesterday. Paid $1600, which was the best price I could find. It is brown, which matches our interior perfectly. Every dealer I spoke with had nothing but praise for the 38. I ordered a piece of Pa bluestone from a local quarry for the base, pick it up next week. Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.