1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harman room sensor placement

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by CtPaul, Jan 22, 2013.

1. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    I just moved my room sensor back under the side of the stove (where distribution fan intakes). I had previously moved it up on the wall before. By installing the OAK and block off plate I eliminated the the cold draft coming out of the back of the fireplace.
    I was wondering where everyone else is doing

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Trickyrick

Trickyrick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western MA/ Eastern NY
    In the pic to the right I have it built into the hearth about 2/3 up on the left side. is out of the draft and insulated from the outside wall. Seems to work well except that there is a 4 degree offset. If I set the stove at 72 then let the room stabilize and use a digital thermometer at the probe I read actual temp of 76. This could be due to the programable Tstat i have wired in series. Not an issue as long as you know what you are getting.
  3. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    I think I will end up moving it up on the wall again. Maybe getting it out of the draft will stabilize the readings. Now that I have an infared themometer I might play around with it.
  4. New Hampshire Jim

New Hampshire Jim Member

Loc:
    Westville New Hampshire
    Thermo.jpg
    My temperature sensor Is on the plug wire of the light that Is lit.I ran It under the floor 20 feet away from the stove
    Stove set at 70 deg. and the room temp. will stay at 70 deg.+ or - 2
  5. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Keep 2 things in mind. 1) you want the sensor to be getting a consistent reading. You don't want drafts from outside affecting the readings so next to a window, for example, is a poor choice. 2) Don't drive yerself nuts trying to match the setting on your stove with the temp on whatever you're getting your actual room reading from. My stove is set to 66-67 and I get my desired target temp of 70. If I needed to set the stove to 80 to get 70, I couldn't care less. It's all about the actual temp in the room.
  6. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    mine is coiled up on the back of the stove I get the desired temp i want so im happy !
  7. chuckster

chuckster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    I just let mine lay on the floor beside the stove. I couldn't care less about the room temp matching the reading on the stove. I just set the stove dial where ever I have to to get the room to the temp I want.
  8. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    Yeah I never went crazy trying to get the temp to match. But it was hard to get it consistent with the outside temperature changes. I'm hoping the insulated block off plate helps with that!
    Thanks for the input. Initially I was happy to get heat out of the stove but now I'm trying to tweak my install and tighten my house. The more info I get the more I must tinker :)!