Harman TL 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in pa also. So I know the weather. I dont know about your stove though, just bought a TL 300 myself. But the guys I talk to that burn wood (including myself) on an avarage go through between five to ten cords a year heating an avarage size home full time. Hope that helps to answer your question lots of variables to give an exact answer.

I live in a ranch home, Two floors with a finished basement where the stove will be located. I will be putting vents in the floor, and going to leave my basement door open. Square footage is approximatelly 2000-2500 sq ft.

Thanks for the reply

If you get its after burn going you will be suprised on how little wood you actually go through.
Last night it got into the 30's so I loaded her up around 10:00 PM set it on the first notch, at 6:00 AM I went down to take a look and stove top was around 350 with about 1/4 of the wood left. It would have easily went another 3 hours on what it had left.

So depending on how hot you burn it would depend on how much wood you go through.

Is your house well insullated?
Adding extra insullation could change the amount from 10 cords to 4 cords.

My houe is insulated well. I just hope I can place the vents in the right spots. I am thinking of putting one of the vents above the stove and as mentioned before leave the basement door open. The stove also has a blower on it. Does your stove have the blower on it and does it push a lot of hot air?

I just use an eco 3 blade fan (75.00 Home Depot Special), I will most likely purchase a heatwave fan (150.00) or another eco fan to supplement it for the winter months. I do not use a blower, the cost of the blower is over 250 and only puts out around 105 cfm, the eco fan I have is around 150cfm, the heat wave is around 300 cfm. The blower blows across the after burn chamber and may cause more stalls since it will cool it.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
I live in pa also. So I know the weather. I dont know about your stove though, just bought a TL 300 myself. But the guys I talk to that burn wood (including myself) on an avarage go through between five to ten cords a year heating an avarage size home full time. Hope that helps to answer your question lots of variables to give an exact answer.

if your burning more than 4-6 cds in pitt pa you should check into insulation and stuff..5-10 is alot of wood with that harman..(7-10)
unless you are 4000sq plus.... just trying to help

murry said:
I live in a ranch home, Two floors with a finished basement where the stove will be located. I will be putting vents in the floor, and going to leave my basement door open. Square footage is approximatelly 2000-2500 sq ft.

Thanks for the reply

before you put vents in try the stove first with a fan somewhere in the house... vents are a no-no as far as fire safety goes....you might find that you can do without

iceman said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:

if your burning more than 4-6 cds in pitt pa you should check into insulation and stuff..5-10 is alot of wood with that harman..(7-10)
unless you are 4000sq plus.... just trying to help

Have not used the Harman yet. Just got it. Will be set up for this winter. Last winter burning a small englander stove i used about 5 1/2 cord of wood. Thats for the whole year and not using the furnace at all. The stove I had was not all that great in my opinion but it did the job. Having friends that burn a verity of stoves (4 guys) and even the larger ones that are piped into the cold air return only report using up to eight cord. These guys heat full time with there stoves with home size being the only thing thats even close to being equal. I was just attempting to give a rough idea of the amount of wood that could be used as I had no clue of wood consumption ether when I started burning wood three years ago. We all have homes of 2000 sq feet and less with different construction and insulation.

murry said:
Also is that the reason for no vents; fire can spread faster if one occurred?

Not sure exactly what your asking but I know people who have put vents in there floor to help move the heat up. But yes vents can speed up the spread of fire and smoke in a home. The smoke almost always kills before the fire does.

My intention was to cut a hole in the floor above the stove and put a vent above the stove. About 20 feet in front of the stove is my steps that go to the main floor. I was going to leave that door open to hopefully form a convection current. Is this okay? any suggesstion?

In my opinion, (which does not mean a whole lot as I am no expert like some others here)...but rather than cutting holes in your floor you could place a small box fan at the top of your steps blowing down. In a room, hot air is on top cold air on the bottom. If you set the fan on the floor blowing down, you would be blowing the cooler air down the steps. Then intern the cool air would be replaced by the warm air from the stove coming up your steps. I used an similer set up at my house but only on one floor. It worked very well for me. Just an idea for you.

I read a previous post of mine explaining the house design. I stated two floors which is correct. One of the floors (main) is the living room, kitchen, bedrooms. Below tis the finished basement where the stove is going to be. The roof is insulated where storage is located. The house is rectangular shape as mentioned.

I will be putting the harman tl 300 facing the steps. The stove also has a blower on it which will be blowing the hot air towards the steps.

So your telling me to place a fan on top of the steps of where the warm air is hopefully to rise? Any other sugesstions you can give me to how I can circulate warm air on the main floor.

Thank You

murry said:
I read a previous post of mine explaining the house design. I stated two floors which is correct. One of the floors (main) is the living room, kitchen, bedrooms. Below tis the finished basement where the stove is going to be. The roof is insulated where storage is located. The house is rectangular shape as mentioned.

I will be putting the harman tl 300 facing the steps. The stove also has a blower on it which will be blowing the hot air towards the steps.

So your telling me to place a fan on top of the steps of where the warm air is hopefully to rise? Any other sugesstions you can give me to how I can circulate warm air on the main floor.

Thank You

The warm air will rise and come up your steps. The fan is only to aid in this process. The warmest air is always near the cealing in any room; whether its the cellar room your stove will be in or your master bedroom. Even your stair case for that matter. Cold air will always tend to collect at the lowest point in any given room and the warm air will collect at the highest point. Think of the air as being in layers in any given room. If I understand correctly, you want to move the warm air from your basement (where the stove is located) to the upstairs (main living area)??? If you put a box fan in the doorway of your steps (and you set it on the floor) you want it to be blowing down your steps. This will help to force the cold air (near the floor where your fan is) down the steps. Now if you were to hang the fan high in the same doorway you would want to blow the air into the main living area and not down the steps. Because if the fan is high, that is where the warm air is. But most people will not hang a fan I just added that as an example to show the difference in fan direction. From talking to James04, who has the Harman blower on his TL300, I think your going to find that the blower from Harman is not going to do much for your upstairs. This size and type of blower will move the air around your basement but I think thats going to be all. Now for the rest of the main living area of your house, the only way your going to be able to move air (other than by natural air currents) is by forcing it by a fan. If you were to take another box fan and place it in your hallway leading back to your bedroom area, and because you would set it on the floor (I would assume), you would want the fan to pull the cold air (located near the floor where the fan is) from your bedroom area and push it twords your steps so that it will go down the staircase and be replaced by warm air from your stove. So with that said, generaly speaking, if you push one cubic foot of cold air down your steps, it needs to be replaced by one cubic foot of warm air coming up your steps. I hope this helps you to understand the process I use to move air around my house during the heating season. Using box fans to move air around our house is one of the downfalls of heating with a wood stove. I am sure there are other techniques used out there but I find this to work best for me.

Thank you for the information. You are a real big help. It is all making sense to me now. If I can I am going to take some snap shots of my home to give you a better idea. That is if I can find out how to post them with my digital camera.

There are some sticky notes in the Pictures forum with suggestions on how to post pictures. Mostly you want to resize them down to less than about 800 x 600 pixels at screen resolution (72-96 dpi).

murry said:
Thank you for the information. You are a real big help. It is all making sense to me now. If I can I am going to take some snap shots of my home to give you a better idea. That is if I can find out how to post them with my digital camera.

To save you a little time, it does not really matter about you home layout. The principle still applies. You just need to find out what fan placement works best for you. I think if you play around a little with this you will be amazed at how effective it is. And just so you know, you dont always need to have your box fans up on high or on all the time to achive a good air flow. Good luck with it and I am sure it will work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.