Harman XXV Burn Temp??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan

Sep 27, 2007
Central MA
Does anyone know what the temperature of the stove should be at given setting? For instance, if the controls are set at feed rate 2, room sesor at "H", and temp setting at 75deg .... what would be the normal temperature of right in front of the blower? The reason I ask is I am starting to wonder if i am getting efficient burn from the Harman? This morning, when I woke up, the stove was burning and i can literally put my hand right on the grill and not feel any pain. So is there a standard or guage to compare my burning efficiency with other? Thank you in advance.

A feed rate of 2 is far too low. That is limiting the output to about 1/3 of the maximum of 50,000 Btus. The key question: Is the room warm? The XXV modifies its heat output to match then heat loss in the room and is capable of building a very low fire with low blower speeds if that is all that is needed.

Crank it up (Full feed rate, STOVE TEMP mode on 7) and wait 1/2 hour. That should tell the tale.

SMK

Thank you. I now relaize this. I found a previous thread on this very topic

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10298/P0/

As usual, your's and other's input and knowledge have been of great help to all of us rookies. I will adjust my feed rate back to 4, distribution blower at room temp mode to half point between H and L, and temp setting to 75 and leave it alone. I am a noobie, so yes I have been playing with the knobs, thinking I could save pellets by setting the feed rate down to 1. Obvioulsy, from reading through the previous thread, that is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Thank you again for your help.

Tristan said:
Does anyone know what the temperature of the stove should be at given setting? For instance, if the controls are set at feed rate 2, room sesor at "H", and temp setting at 75deg .... what would be the normal temperature of right in front of the blower? The reason I ask is I am starting to wonder if i am getting efficient burn from the Harman? This morning, when I woke up, the stove was burning and i can literally put my hand right on the grill and not feel any pain. So is there a standard or guage to compare my burning efficiency with other? Thank you in advance.

Couple of things,

feed rate should be set to about 4 for most pellets. It can be adjusted up or down if the fuel is higher or lower ash. Look for about a 3/4" to 1" strip of ash in front of the burning pellets at the front of the burn pot.

The room temp dial setting of "L to H" does not set the sensor. It sets the convection fan speed. Turn it to L most of the time. No need to have the convection fan on H most of the time. Being on H is contributing to your feeling a lower temp on your hands when you put your hands into the air stream.

In Room Temp mode the stove will raise and lower the heat output to match your setting of "75". If the room is already close to 75 the heat output will be low.

If you want to experiment with heat output and measure with your hands use "Stove Temp" mode.

LOL .... no ... i don't think i will experiment with the hand touch idea when the stove is set on stove temp mode. I now realize what I've been doing wrong. Its all clear to me now how these different setting work in relation to each other. i just wished that the manual went into more details like this forum does. Thank you for your help.

Tristan said:
LOL .... no ... i don't think i will experiment with the hand touch idea when the stove is set on stove temp mode. I now realize what I've been doing wrong. Its all clear to me now how these different setting work in relation to each other. i just wished that the manual went into more details like this forum does. Thank you for your help.

Okay, good. I see you have it now.

I personally found the manual to be very helpful. But I am a tech type. I have often heard from consumers that the manuals are poorly written. Maybe Harman needs to hire an uninitiated consumer type to write the manuals. Then the techs would probably complain! Who knows. All I know is that the Harman is one of the best pellet stoves I've ever burned.

As Tristan mentioned above, I would also like to say thanks to everyone here for always
being so helpful. I am also a newbie with the XXV. After reading this post, I realized that
my feed rate was also too low for my settings.
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.