Harman XXV Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jobrien101

Oct 17, 2009
Central MASS
I have been having some problems with my XXV, I hope someone has some good ideas for me. First off my igniter seems to have died. Are there any alternatives to spending $95 at the dealer or am I stuck paying for another one? I had it replaced in Feb. 2009 but has bit the dust again. I only got about 3 months of use tops!! The dealer says part is not covered under warranty even though it was a new replacement part and installed by one of their Techs. Does Harman not warranty replacement parts?

Secondly, I have had to light my stove manually since the igniter died (I have kept igniter swithch in Auto Mode when lighting) . When I had the fire going strong I tried switching the igniter switch to Manual but then the distribution blower shut off. Is this normal or do I have other issues with my stove?

I will preface all this by saying at the end of the last heating season my stove was running "very wacky". The blowers on the stove would race up to full speed then turn off, then on and off again for no apparent reason. Also the pellets feeding into the stove were continuous and kept spilling into the ash pan. I figured my circuit board might be fried since the stove was behaving so poorly, so I unplugged it during April and had not done anything with it until September when I did a full cleaning. I finally got to use it this past week and everything seemed ok except for the igniter issue. I don't know if these issues are a function of a bad igniter and possibly a bad circuit board or if it is just my imagination. All I know is that my stove does not light in Auto Mode and there is a heck of a lot more ash than I am used to seeing.

Wacky things like that could be the ESP.
Also related to the dist blower shutting off when you switch to manual,,,,,,,,, however if the temp setting knob is set too low then the dist blower will shut off. it's watching the ESP not the room temp sensor.

agreed with GVA....sounds like a screwy ESP probe, or a dirty one..........

Harman warrantees replacement parts for 2 months, I believe....

When running in manual lighting mode, run the stove in manual mode as well....otherwise the stove may shut down, thinking it can relight itself, and if the ignitor is faulty, it wont be able to.....yes, in manual mode, the distribution fan wont come on until the ESP probe reads the correct temperature....also in auto for that matter......so, no fire, or a new fire, it wont be on immediately.....

I'd look at the igniter first, see if you have continuity, then check it for resistance...secondly, the ESP probe, thirdly, and least likely, the circuit board

Status
Not open for further replies.