Harman XXV vs Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamm

Sep 16, 2011
CT
I've spent hours on this site reading reviews/comments, plus more hours on vendor and manufacturer sites- i've learned a lot (thanks!) and for many reasons (what my local stores carry chief among them) have narrowed my options to the Harman XXV and Lopi Leyden. I'm sure (?) they're both fine stoves and will function well as a secondary heating source for our house.
What I need help with is this: does anyone have opinions/experience on which is easier to maintain/clean, or troubleshoot problems? I'm a little daunted by the challenge of regular maintenance... our man of the house travels and this will be my chore entirely. I'm more concerned with the ongoing cleaning- is it really as simple as using a pellet vacuum to clean? there must be more to it! please give me the real scoop no matter how time intensive cleaning would be- I'd like to know. Is there other maintenance I'd need to do beyond cleaning that is not part of the annual check-up that I plan to have our local store do?
Is there an advantage to getting the Lopi since it can burn a 50% corn mix in additon to all wood pellets? would i want to or is that just a marketing ploy?
Is noise really an issue with either of these stoves? I keep reading Harman is quieter- but don't they all make a fair amount of 'fan' noise?

Any comments/suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated- I'll take the good and the bad- it will all help me determine what stove I'll be able to manage better! Thanks :)
Beth

Both are easy to clean and maintain. I used to have a Lopi Yankee and it took me about 20 minutes a week to clean it. Bi-annual/annual cleaning of hte chimney, exhaust blower etc. used to take about an hour, but that is something alot of people have a chimney sweep come out for. I personally burned a 50/50 mix in my old store in a Lopi Leyden, Avalon Astoria and a Lopi Yankee and wasn't real impressed. The 50/50 mix is by weight not volume as well so really to be sucessful its more like 70 pellets and 30 corn. I sold Lopi's for 8 years and my competitor sold the Harman and in all honesty I would say go with the one that you like best. BTW the Harman is quieter, and unless Lopi changed the warranty the Harman has 3 years on electrical compared to Lopi's 2. A major factor if your not looking at buying both brands from teh same dealer is which dealer do you like the best? What is their parts inventory like, do they charge mileage for warranty calls in your area? How many crews do they have, what is lead time for service and repair average?

Thanks for your info- great stuff. Harman dealer is located in my town, Lopi is about 30 min away. Both were super nice, no pressure... i just don't think i'll know till i need service what the response is like. Your comments about the warranty differences may be my tipping point! Thanks!

Harman has several unhappy users here due to their "hands off" warranty approach... the dealer must handle everything with a warranty claim... you will get zero help from Harman with a warranty problem. This isn't like buying a car where any dealer will service your car... only the selling dealer get's reimbursed for a warranty claim on a Harman stove. If the selling dealer goes out of biz you are stuck...

Cleaning will be a snap once you get to do it a few times... I only open the door of my stove once every week... i can go longer if need be.

You should do a COMPLETE cleaning of the stove after every ton of pellets... most dealers are clueless on cleaning issues... an electric leafblower does an excellent job of cleaning the hard to reach areas of your stove after you do a good cleaning after every ton...

Same goes for Lopi, you're pretty much stuck with that dealer for service etc. The company doesn't typically get involved with customer troubleshooting. Doesn't fit their business model, that's what GOOD dealers are for. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.