Harmon Invincible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkins

Minister of Fire
Mar 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
15 year old insert. There is a gasket of some type that is mounted on the slide rail of the insert. Mine are torn up badly and need to replaced. They look like a flat door seal gasket. About 1" wide or so. Does this need to be a heat proof gasket or can I use a heavy webbing with the same thickness?

If the hopper lid gasket is missing parts will this affect the operation of the stove?

On the rails I used graphite when the old gasket finally fell apart.

Bkins said:
15 year old insert. There is a gasket of some type that is mounted on the slide rail of the insert. Mine are torn up badly and need to replaced. They look like a flat door seal gasket. About 1" wide or so. Does this need to be a heat proof gasket or can I use a heavy webbing with the same thickness?

If the hopper lid gasket is missing parts will this affect the operation of the stove?

nah....the gasketing is there to make the unit slide out easier...graphite will work, but you can replace the gasket as well......they dont hold up really well.

I will try the graphite since the gasket seems to be hard to find. I had asked about the hopper gasket because parts of the one on the insert I just got are missing. I am going to put a new one on during the rebuild process. I was just wondering if some of the eratic things I saw this stove do when I went to look at it could be cause by the missing chunks of gasket.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.