harmon p 68 BURN POT AND AUGER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerf

Oct 25, 2009
centeral newfoundland
sorry guys but i am back after getting the auger fixed wasn't the motor pellets still gather in the bottom of burn pot.Is this normal? i find if i turn temp on bust(room) pellets feeder on 6 all my pellets stay at the bottom and they just get higher and higher till there is no room at top and now every 3 to 4 hours the burn ash sits there and i have to scrap it out or i should say push it out meself.Normal or not/THANKING EVERYONE

Does the fire go out if you don't scrape? If it doesn't you're OK. Can you see holes at the top of the burnpot, or are they covered with ash? They should be covered with ash after awhile. The ash will get pushed out eventually as the pellets burn and new ones take their place. If the fire goes out or if your burn is affected then yes, there is something wrong.

I have been playing with the feed rate around 3.5-4, room temp between 60-75 depending on time of day, and on manual to save ignitor use at this time of year.

Generally, the pellets stay towards the bottom and push the ash. I have yet t see that 1" at the end that is talked about in the manual, but I have not run it at 6 for any reason either.

I will usually clear the ashes once in the evening before bed when I turn down the thermostat (that may subside as the "new toy" effect wears out if not really needed)and do a quick scrape of the burn pot while it's running once in the morning as well. Keeps the air holes happy.

Still tweeking, but it seems fine to me. Plenty of heat when it's called for and no clinkers.

edit: Oh yeah, I have found that if I scrape the burn pot before a complete shut down, it shuts down much quicker that if I do not. 15-20 minutes compared to almost an hour.

Yah i agree with gbreda i do the same thing as well....My stove is also in the basement.

Sounds normal. Mine always collects more then 1" of ash. Depending on the pellet sometimes it's real fine ash and no clumps.

Sounds normal to me too.
The pellets will push the ash out of the pot eventually.

jerf said:
sorry guys but i am back after getting the auger fixed
wasn't the motor
pellets still gather in the bottom of burn pot.
Is this normal?
i find if i turn temp on bust(room)
pellets feeder on 6
all my pellets stay at the bottom and they just get higher and higher till there is no room at top
and now every 3 to 4 hours the burn ash sits there
and i have to scrap it out or i should say push it out meself.
Normal or not/THANKING EVERYONE

Is this what you were trying to say?
Punctuation helps people read your post.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, it's just that your original post is confusing.
But yes I would say it is normal.

I agree it sounds normal, just be sure to give the burn pot a quick scrap around the burning pellets morning and night. You should not have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.