Harmon P68 glass??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The glass on my P68 will only stay crystal clear for a few hours before I start to see build up on the glass, usually starting on the right side. I think a lot depends on what your burning and how your stove is set to run. So far I have only been running in stove temp mode with lower settings.
Hope this helps
JB

Same here as jbmaine. Stays clean for a few hours, starts with a light gray-ish haze on the right side-stove temp, low burn. From what I have read, low burning at this time of year adds it. Pellet brand will definately make a difference.

The P68 is equipped with an air wash system. This is to help blow air across the glass and help keep it free of color longer. If your glass is getting brown quickly, you do not have enough air flow. You must clean out the system entirely to be sure of where the problem is coming from.

1. Common problems for this are found in the flue or vent pipe more than the stove itself.
2. The ESP probe sensor may be dirty or malfunctioning, remove and clean it with alcohol to be sure.
3. Vacuum the air wash vent and make sure that the pipe leading across the ash bin which delivers the air to the air wash is not bent or compromised in any way.
4. Remove the exhaust shield from the combustion motor and inspect the fins of the impeller for missing or bent fins. Clean off all ash and creosote. This includes the space behind the impeller towards the motor face plate.
5. Inspect the combustion motor for signs weakening by hand spinning the impeller and looking for resistance or do an RPM bench test.

You glass should remain somewhat clear for a week or more if you do not over fire the stove and are burning a decent pellet.

also, NEVER clean the glass with anything containing ammonia or chlorine. Ammonia will damage the glass and make it prematurely turn grayish and chlorine will start excessive corrosion to stainless steel parts.

bufbillsball said:
I have a P68 and my glass became dirty no matter the heat setting last winter...any ideas?

In addition to what SMWilliamson mentions above, what brand of pellets were you burning?

I recommend wiping the inside of the glass on the door once a day with a dry cloth. This does help and when you do shut it down give it a good cleaning by removing the door and laying it dirty side up. Soap and water works great.

imacman said:
bufbillsball said:
I have a P68 and my glass became dirty no matter the heat setting last winter...any ideas?

In addition to what SMWilliamson mentions above, what brand of pellets were you burning?

I have burned 4 or 5 different brands of pellets and no difference in the glass....I clean the stove thoroughly weekly, but will do the things SMWilliamson mentionedbefore this season starts. I am generally happy with the stove.

smwilliamson said:
The P68 is equipped with an air wash system. This is to help blow air across the glass and help keep it free of color longer. If your glass is getting brown quickly, you do not have enough air flow. You must clean out the system entirely to be sure of where the problem is coming from.

1. Common problems for this are found in the flue or vent pipe more than the stove itself.
2. The ESP probe sensor may be dirty or malfunctioning, remove and clean it with alcohol to be sure.
3. Vacuum the air wash vent and make sure that the pipe leading across the ash bin which delivers the air to the air wash is not bent or compromised in any way.
4. Remove the exhaust shield from the combustion motor and inspect the fins of the impeller for missing or bent fins. Clean off all ash and creosote. This includes the space behind the impeller towards the motor face plate.
5. Inspect the combustion motor for signs weakening by hand spinning the impeller and looking for resistance or do an RPM bench test.

You glass should remain somewhat clear for a week or more if you do not over fire the stove and are burning a decent pellet.

also, NEVER clean the glass with anything containing ammonia or chlorine. Ammonia will damage the glass and make it prematurely turn grayish and chlorine will start excessive corrosion to stainless steel parts.

2 questions, how do i take the esp out?
and where is the air wash vent?

snodays700 said:
smwilliamson said:

2 questions, how do i take the esp out?
and where is the air wash vent?

The air wash is the long tube directly to the left and under the burn pot which connects to the forward vent just below the door glass when closed. Visit the Harman website and read the manual for your stove to find the ESP. It's all in there...somewhere around p. 24. I'll let you do a little leg work, heck I'll even give you the link:

http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P68.pdf

smwilliamson said:

Thank you for the info...I finally got around to do my "yearly" cleaning. (I clean weekly during the season, but not as thorough as this one) I did all of the above. No problems with anything. I will let you know if my glass stays clean. I vacuumed the air wash vents etc.... I am sure I will start using it in about a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.