Harmon PB105 manufactured 2009 NIB. Good Buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SBALTH

Feb 13, 2015
Elkhart Lake, Wisconisin
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for some insight on purchasing a pellet boiler. Currently I run a older LP gas boiler and burn approximately 1100 gallons of LP per heating season.

I'm eyeing up a Harmon PB105 at a dealership, which is a new unit, however it was manufactured in 2009. It has the finned igniter and also the old burn pot before Harmon fixed the cracking/bubble issue. After a day of research I've discovered these issues as the major complaints about the pb105. Are there any other issues with these older model Harmon PB105's? Dealer is asking $4200 for the unit. Is this a good buy? I understand the new PB105's are going for $6000-(sale price at EarthSense) to $7400.00. Would this unit still be covered under the Harmon warranty? Replacement burn pot goes for $650-700.

Thanks for any and all insight.

I would think the dealer, or Harmon themselves, would be the best to ask about the warranty question. I think I remember reading on the net somewhere a little while ago (in the past couple weeks?) though that Harmon was discontinuing the PB105 all together? Or maybe moving away from boilers all together and concentrating on just stoves?

Can't help with your other questions, hopefully some 105 owners will jump in.

Ask for the latest burn pot to be included or installed. Warranty or no warranty.

I would talk to Harman/HHT about warranty. The part about 24 months from shipping would concern me.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Owner-Resources/Warranty-Information.aspx

"Warranty coverage begins on the date of original purchase. In the case of new home construction, warranty coverage
begins on the date of first occupancy of the dwelling or six months after the sale of the product by an independent,
authorized HHT dealer/ distributor, whichever occurs earlier. The warranty shall commence no later than 24 months
following the date of product shipment from HHT, regardless of the installation or occupancy date. The warranty period for
parts and labor for covered components is produced in the following table.

The term “Limited Lifetime” in the table below is defined as: 20 years from the beginning date of warranty coverage for
gas appliances, and 10 years from the beginning date of warranty coverage for wood, pellet, and coal appliances. These
time periods reflect the minimum expected useful lives of the designated components under normal operating conditions."

Status
Not open for further replies.