Harmon XXV IS SPEED BURNING MY PELLETS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbean1025

Mar 21, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
-Before the burning season I did what I thought was a good cleaning of the inside and back of the stove (did not remove motors, only cleaned around outside of them).
-I am using Lignetics pellets which I believe are hardwood when I used to use softwood.
-Used to get about 18 to 20 hrs of burn from a bag, but now I am only getting about 12 to 14 hrs per bag.
-The only change in settings is that I used to put the room temp switch at about mid range and now I tend to put it towards the high end.
-Do hardwood pellets normally burn faster than softwood? I thought it would be the other way.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The soft wood pellets have a larger volume per pound. At the same feed settings would result in longer burn times for a bag of soft pellets.

Would this result in about a 25% burn time change? Should I slow down my feed rate based on this? The rate was at about 4, I have slowed it to about 2. Also noted that on 2 the pot was still full of pellets.

lecomte38 said:
The soft wood pellets have a larger volume per pound. At the same feed settings would result in longer burn times for a bag of soft pellets.

sorry, thats wrong. soft wood pellets have exactly the same volume per pound as hardwood pellets.

there are more btu's (generally) in softwood, per pound, and that is why you might get longer burn times.
The harman stove, set on room temp, should just adjust itself automatically.

PDK9 said:
-Before the burning season I did what I thought was a good cleaning of the inside and back of the stove (did not remove motors, only cleaned around outside of them).
-I am using Lignetics pellets which I believe are hardwood when I used to use softwood.
-Used to get about 18 to 20 hrs of burn from a bag, but now I am only getting about 12 to 14 hrs per bag.
-The only change in settings is that I used to put the room temp switch at about mid range and now I tend to put it towards the high end.
-Do hardwood pellets normally burn faster than softwood? I thought it would be the other way.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I notice if I increase my temp by around 5 degrees from 75 to 80 in room temp that I will go through a bag in about 11 hours compared to around 19 hours. I only raise the temp to 80 when the wife is not feeling well other wise it stays at 75. I am heating around 2300 SF of my 2400 + SF single story house with family room staying around 75, living room and kitchen 72, hallway 68 and the bedrooms around 65. My house is mostly open except for the bedrooms which are off the other end of the hallway so I have been trying to figure out a way to make the bedrooms warmer with little success.

swalz
Are you burning hard or softwood?
What settings do you have the stove on (ie: is room temp high, low or med; feed rate?; actual temp; room fan speed; I also noticed that the temp probe was sitting on the ground, I moved it to about where it is now hanging about two inches off the bottom of the stove.

Side note: Any waterfowl hunting going on in down there? Thanks for the help

PDK9 said:
swalz
Are you burning hard or softwood?
What settings do you have the stove on (ie: is room temp high, low or med; feed rate?; actual temp; room fan speed; I also noticed that the temp probe was sitting on the ground, I moved it to about where it is now hanging about two inches off the bottom of the stove.

Side note: Any waterfowl hunting going on in down there? Thanks for the help

I am Burning Hammer Hot Ones, at least that is what the guy at TSC said the Hardwood Heat were made by. They are a hardwood pellet, my setting is room temp, fan on high or 3/4 and switch set to Hi for room blower. The feed rate is set to 3 and the temp set to 75. My temp probe is about 3.5 feet up on wall behind stove to the left facing the stove. I had it on the hearth which is made out of stone and I was using more pellets and the room was hot. I think the floor was making the probe read wrong since it is stone and stayed at a colder temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.