Has anyone built or had built a faceplate extension?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rap

Dec 22, 2022
Indianapolis
My fireplace opening measure 35 W x 34.75 H. I have been unable to find an insert with a faceplate that covers the entire opening.

I ended up purchasing an insert with a faceplate that is only 32" tall, so I need to come up with a way to make up that gap.

Has anyone made an extension for a faceplate?

I haven't, but if you can work with metal, it should be pretty trivial. I actually got rid of my face plate and just learned to enjoy the gap. Looks a bit more like a stove sitting in an open fireplace.

One thing you might consider depending on where the shortage is - is there any way to 'fill the gap' at the bottom, so to speak. Thought being if you fill the top gap, you're dealing with some piece that has to extend the entire width of the face. If you can do something at the top of the stove, that would be a smaller 'inside' gap, or even better, if there is a way to make up the distance at the bottom of the side pieces, possibly you'd just need a couple of pedestals for it to sit on.

It just needs a piece of 20 or 18ga sheet metal painted black and attached to the surround.